Alburgh All Saints Church IP20 0DB.

Alburgh All Saints Church, west tower, south porch, nave, and chancel. the top storey of the tower was put on later and the buttresses not carried up, which gives it an unfortunate outline. There are niches on either side of west window and curious flying buttresses from the battlements to the corner pinnacles. 14th century chest and a very much restored screen with diapered panels. Small church, with a remarkably tall tower. The tower has flushwork panelling left and right of the west doorway and niches left and right of the west window. the buttresses cease below the bell-stage with unfortunate effect on the outline. two-stepped battlements with flushwork panelling. Pinannacles with little flying buttresses. The north and sides Perpendicular, the screen dado only, with nice tracery (two plus two panels for one upper division) and much remaining colour, The is mention by Pevsner of barrow, near the church, that were opened end of last century and found to contain human bones. The earliest evidence of settlement at Alburgh is from the Mesollithic era. A Bronze Age barrow near the church was excavated in the 19th century, when bones were removed. Little has been recovered from the Iron Age or the Roman or Saxon Periods. However, there are plentiful medieval remains. Parts of the church of All Saints, Alburgh, date back to the 13th century. The noted church architect Richard Phipson restored it in 1876, adding "pinnacles with little flying buttresses" and reworking the chancel. Today the church holds a service every Sunday as part of the Earsham benefice. Its ring of eight bells is among the oldest in Norfolk. About a mile away is the River Waveney, the boundarybetween Norfolk and Suffolk, Norfolk meaning, people from the North and Suffolk, people from the South. Battlement and pinnacles crown the 500 year old tower. the nave is as old as the tower, and the chancel a century older. The massive medieval roof of the nave is impressive for its wide span rather than for detail, and porch also has an old roof. There are two old poppyhead pews, two 17th-century chairs, and two ancient chest. The restored oak screen is interesting for its gilded plaster work, which has tiny roses in lattice and four saints under arches. Near Harleston, square western tower with slender pinnacles, which are supported by flying buttresses from the embattlements, 8 bells. nave and chancel and south porch. Mainly 15th century but portions of 13th century incorporated. Modern vestry built on north  side, on site of ancient Chapel of Saint Margaret. Chancel walls have been raised about 6 feet and new wagon-headed roof erected. Panels from the old rood screen have been incorporated into a reredos as a memorial to the Rev. C.W. Lohr, rector 1871-97. Sedilia, piscina and rood loft stairs discovered during a restoration. At Alburgh the reredos has the lower panels of the screen, on which are no figures, but pretty gesso work. There was a Saint Christopher here in Blomefield's time and there are two bells of 1436. No toilet for the disabled or able bodied

Alburgh All Saints Church, Postcode: IP20 0DB.

On the second day, God created the sky to separate the waters.