[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.  A cruciform church, Perpendicular Period, some Norman work, zig - zag effect.

Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.



Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church, situated about two miles from Gillingham in Norfolk, "A Day's Excursion among the Churches" book by Charles E. Keyser, MA, FSA, states a cruciform church, once partly used as the church of a small priory attached to the great monastery at Norwich. The old clerk there is quite a character, and only too delighted to show the church to the intelligent visitor. It is somewhat irregular in its design.and now consists of a central tower, nave, north transept, south chapel and chancel. This was around 1907. He also put that the windows were of 15th century date and two others Decorated Period, but renewed. The tower he thought to be rebuilt in 1633, the arches too, though one seemed to be the original Decorated one. A recess of late 14th century work incorporated a mural painting, but had been covered in whitewash. A handsome porch of the Perpendicular Period was adorned with implements of the Passion and Trinity banner. The inner doorway was approx 1633. The most interesting feature of the church is the west doorway, a good specimen of Norman work of about the middle of the 12th century. It had the zig-zag effect. Walking disabled friendly, quite a distance from parking. As per church leaflet entitled the Priory and Parish church of Saint Mary Aldeby: At the time of the Domesday survey Aldeby had a church with 12 acres. The lordship had been held in the time of Edward by a freedman of Stigand, Archbishop of Canterbury. at the Conquest the Lordship was given to Ralph de Beaufoe, a relative of William de Beaufoe, bishop of Thetford and chancellor to the new King. Ralph's daughter Agnes granted a large part of the lordship to a new cathedral Monastery of the Holy Trinity in Norwich, for the foundation of a dependent priory of four monks. The new priory church of Saint Mary thus one of five cells dependent on Norwich Cathedral Priory: Saint Leonards Norwich, Saint Nicholas Yarmouth, Saint Margaret's Lynne (King's Lynn) and saint Edmunds at Hoxne in Suffolk. Aleby seems to have been more of a Grange, a farming out-post than the other four cells. In 1275, when William Roscelyn purchased the Aldeby lordship, leaving the Priory with 800 acres, a mill. "Blomefield"

Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.

Nearby Aldeby Priory: Benedictine monks, dependent on Norwich; founded c. 1100-1119 (during the reign of Henry I ) by Herbert de Losinga, Bishop of Norwich; lack of evidence for a conventual church infers that the monks officiated at the parochial church of St Mary which was granted to the priory; granted to the Dean and Prebendary of Norwich
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi,churchesofnorfolk,
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.
Some of the things that can be seen on this site are:
Aisle, Flint, Font, Gallery, Altar, Flying Buttress, Gargoyle, Annunciation, Galilee Porches, Antiphonal, Lectern,Gothic, Grotesque, Apse, Gnomon, Hatchments, IHS, Ambulatory, Glossary, ruined churches, seven sacrament fonts, stained coloured windows, churches of Norfolk, A-Z meaning of church list, religious or pilgrim badges, carvings, naves, alters, graffiti, door knobs, Roman, Saxon, videos.
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi,churchesofnorfolk,
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi,churchesofnorfolk,
Aldeby Saint Mary the Virgin Church.NR34-0AB.The Old Boi,churchesofnorfolk,