[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church



With a tower of late 13th century, with battlements and buttresses, Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church has an Early 14th century chancel, this said of by Pevsner, he also mentions a heavily segmented gable of brick which looks circa 1700! It also has a chancel of the Perpendicular Period (one of only around six which step down, the others being Burgh Saint Mary, Dickleburgh, Helhoughton, Shelton and Wickhampton) and an east window that is Perpendicular too. The monument is of all probability Sir Edmund who died in 1417, made of alabaster, it has gained lots of graffiti over the years. A Mass Dial is visible there too. Messent states, "Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church has a square west tower, 5 bells, nave chancel with chapel on north side, and south porch with parvis above. Chancel and tower are 14th century, but nave has Perpendicular windows. There are piscinae in the chancel, chapel and nave, and a holy water stoup in the porch. The north chapel contains several mural monuments to the Wilson Family, and has three stained glass windows with the arms of the Thorpe, Bouchier, Knyvett and Wilson families. Between the nave and chapel is a handsome white marble altar tomb, bearing recumbent effigies of Sir Edmund de Thorpe and his lady, 1446. A slab in the chancel is inscribed to Philip de Thorpe, died 1298. A Communion Plate bears the name Johannes Knyvett, 1671 and Lady Knyvett gave the font in 1660. Large car park, longish walk, no toilets.

Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church Postcode: NR16-1EZ
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church
Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church