[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Aylmerton, Saint John the Baptist, Church.



Aylmerton, Saint John the Baptist, Church, The leaflet reads, From Saxon times this church has had two Rectors, one of whom is mentioned in the Domesday Book, as having ten acres of glebe land (half a Church with ten acres), but by 1280 each had a house and fifteen acres. No signs of the Saxon church survive and it may indeed have been constructed of timber framing. One would expect its nave to be shorter than the present one. It stood on the estate of Edrich, being held by a freeman of his, named Viulf. West tower, 15th century south porch, parvise above and iron-bound door, nave and chancel. Ruined transept on north. The round tower is probably Norman. and has the peculiarity of having two 14th windows in the west wall flanking the tower. Simple arch braced roof to the nave with collar and modern roof to chancel. There is a pillar stoup inside opposite the main south door. The rood screen dates from 1445.


Aylmerton, Saint John the Baptist, Church,Postcode: NR11-8PZ
[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]