[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Bacton Saint Andrew Church NR12 0JP.


Bacton Saint Andrew Church, near North Walsham, square west tower, 5 bells, nave, chancel (Thatched) and south porch. The tower is Perpendicular, but nave and chancel Decorated. Triple sedilia and a handsome piscina. There is a nicely proported tower with sould holes, and the lower stage of butresses, niched, stooled and canopied with a gablet head on set-off. Unusual font on two quatrefoil steps and with pilasters at cardinal points and between them engaged shafts, circled with a sort of canopy; the corona has angels with outspread wings and the bowl the Evangelistic Emblems. Modern roofs and benches. 15th century graduated plain sedilia and 15th century coloured piscina with armonial sheilds in spandrils. Approached from the south via an avenue of trees, you reach this pretty church. the church has been well cared for, includes a blue roofed chancel. And a beautifully coloured east window. There are lovely Decalogues painted on the east window like ancient illuminated manuscripts. Charles Cox noted a vulgar tiled reredos in 1911 and is discreetly obscured by curtains and the altar brought forward. There is a 15th century piscina with handsome cusped arch and shields in the spandrels and much colour still remains. this adjoining a very small triple sedilia, also 15th century, and plain. The stone angel there is said to have come from the tower butresses. In the nave are a few old poppey-heads, remaining in the west end. There is a very good and unusual font, the finely carved rectangular bowl having more angels with shields alternating with the Symbols of the Evangelists: immediately under the bowl and flowing down to the base are more angels and garland like canopies and around the base, indeteminate animals heads, though the north east one surely suggests a calf.

Bacton Saint Andrew Church NR12 0JP.