[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA


Bedingham Saint Andrews Church, west tower, south porch, nave, north and south aisles, chancel and north and south chancel aisles. The round tower is Norman with octagonal top.
Good late 12th century north doorway with two engaged columns to jamb and well moulded arch. The priest's doorway is of the same date, and has three engaged shafts with carved caps and dog-tooth moulding in arch. Modern roofs and benches, 14th century arcades and the church is beautifully light with clerestoy window over bother the nave and chancel. Very nice 15th century screen with poor cornice, but all coloured. The crocketed overlays are complete but though the lower panels are now diapered, I think originally they contained figures. Late 17th century altar rails and a dropped window sill sedilia, with matched angle piscinas on either side, the eastern fitted withdrain. A little 15th century glass with two complete figures. 15th century typical font standing on two steps, one quatrefoiled. Bedingham Saint Andrews Church, near Bungay, 5 bells, nave with aisles, transepts, chancel and south porch. The base of the tower is Norman, but early Perpendicular above. There are two transitional Norman and Early English doorways. The rest of the church is a mixture of late Decorated and early Perpendicular. There are tablets to the Stone family, including one to Maria Stone, 1675, and to Thomas Cowper, vicar 1725. There is a stone under which it is said the hear of one of the Bruce family is buried, who died over seas. The rood screen remains with old colouring. South transept window has beautiful Decorated tracery. Bedingham and Woodton two Saxon-Norman churches, lie less than a mile apart, Bedingham, once had a second church in the same graveyard. There is a monument to George Stone dated 1808 by sculptor R. de Carle and Son. Also one to Willian Stone 1765 by sculptor Thomas Rawlins. To help other family trees, one Bessie Louise Baldwin born 1878 in Bedingham her father John and great grandfather Charles Edward Baldwin were brothers. The pulpit is low, but built with a stone base, it has floral carving on its wooden top, the pews are made from re-claimed wood; see the clues as to its previous use. Much rood screen wood was used in the mending, repairing and making of pews. And Funeral biers remade into surplices or rochets. If you look hard you will find the back pews depicting the separation of men and women in church, the only stained glass window, depicts saints in the centre, with Saint Staephen and Saint Paul in roundels. Fishing nets and memorbilia dedicated to Saint Andrew adorn the walls. 

Bedingham Saint Andrews Church Postcode: NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA
Bedingham Saint Andrews Church NR35 2DA