[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Burgh Saint Margaret Church



Burgh Saint Margaret Church, west tower, south porch, nave and chancel. This church is entirely thatched and has a cow-mouthed dormer at the south west end to light the gallery. Simple Norman doors north and south, that to the south having two engaged shafts and an arch of three orders. Little brass of John Burton 1608 in a fossilized marble slab. Flegg Burgh, near Acle, square west tower, a clock and 3 bells, nave chancel and south porch. the roofs are thatched as afore mentioned. Mainly late Decorated and Perpendicular, but a late Norman doorway incorporated. There has been much restoration work done, and most of the internal fittings are modern. Registers from 1813; previous ones were burnt in rectory fire in that year.
The old church of St. Mary, with the exception of a small portion of the tower, which is still standing in the centre of a field, has disappeared. The church of St. Margaret, erected about the middle of the 14th century, is a structure of flint chiefly in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: but the fabric also incorporates an enriched Late Norman doorway: in 1876 the church was thoroughly restored and reseated chiefly at the expense of the rector, and will now seat 250 persons. The registers date only from 1754, the earlier books having been destroyed in the fire which occurred at the parsonage in that year. The old dormer peeps out of the thatched roof of the nave, and with-in the porch (which has an upper room/parvise) is a Norman doorway crudely carved in zig-zag. The brass portrait of a rector who preached here in the days of Queen Elizabeth shows John Burton, with beard, kneeling in gown and ruff. The modern reredos of white alabaster, with carvings of Christ between two pairs of winged angels, and of Saint Margaret tramping the dragon under her feet, was given by Bishop Fisher in memory of his father. The bishop was rector here for a year, and there is a tablet to his son, a Gallipoli hero who went out on a night patrol in the Great War and did not come back. In a field not far away stands a fragment of a mighty past, a Norman tower which has lost its church and has a 15th century cap. The key can be obtained from the public house next door, The King's Arms (And thank you Laura)


Burgh Saint Margaret Church, Postcode:NR29 3DJ