[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Catton Saint Margaret Church



Catton Saint Margaret Church, near Norwich, round west tower, 1 bell, nave, south aisle and north transept, chancle and south porch. the base of the tower is late Norman, the rest of the church early Decorated and Perpendicular. There is a large marble monument in the transept to the Bussy family, 1719 and numberous tablets to the Bignold, Greene, morse, Adsams, lincoln, and other families. The pulpit is Tudor, dated 1537. It bears arms of the guilds of the City of Norwich. There lived through the last part of her life here, a Mrs Sewell, known for her books, She was one of the first moral writers in a simple way for children and had an immense influence by her books. Her daughter wrote Black Beauty, the faous autobiography of a horse. both sleep in Norfolk, at Lamas. The church stands in a pretty corner, set in a lawn with rose bordered path and the porch has a 200-year-old sundial and a modern figure of saint Margaret and the Dragon. The inside is oddly shaped; the wide north aisle was rebuilt and the transept added last century; a great west gallery is adorned with painted shields, and the array of pews seems too much for the nave with its low arcades. The 14th century font is carved with quatrefoils. The treasure of the church is a beautiful pedestal pulpit 400 years old, carved with linenfold and enriched with symbols of saints and arms of the afore mentioned Guild. The lower part making it into a twodecker, has rich carving of tracery with birds at grotesques. The tracery of the west screen is old; and a fragment of oak sculpturenow on a windowsill has exquisitecarving showing seven men on horses, soldiers, and a group of three women. The  figures are all in medieval dress. There is a wooden cross from Flander, and an 18th century tombstone in the churchyard has the familiar lines of the blacksmiths epitaph.

Catton Saint Margaret Church