[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]

Churches of Norfolk by the Old Boi Norwich City.



In Norwich is listed a Saint Crispin's Road, contrary to belief, there is and never was a Saint Crispin's Church in Norwich. The only connection is Norwich was once know as a shoe making base, and Saint Crispin is the patron saint  of shoemakers.



Norwich, All Saints, Westlegate. All Saint's Green was originally known as Swynemarket; this became Old Swynemarket in the late 13th century when the swine market moved to Orford Hill, Timbermarket in the 14th century and finally became Allderhallen (All Saints) Green from the mid sixteeth century from Saint Winwaloes's church (later known as Saint Catherine's Church.

Norwich, Saint Cuthbert, was a "paschal lamb" or Agnus Dei as it is more usually called. This was a blessed wax tablet with representation of the lamb of God. The tablet, which was made from the wax of the paschal candle, was blessed by the Pope and was regarded as a sacramental. At Sall was a scala de ecclesia, or ladder from the church, doubtless a wooden ladder leading to the rood-loft. This represents an intermediate stage: a rood-loft had been added to the chancel screen but no stairs for reaching it were provided in the older structure, therefore a wooden ladder was necessary to gain the loft.

Norwich Saint Clement.

Norwich, Saint Edmunds, Fishergate.

Norwich, Saint Etheldreda.

Norwich, Christ Church New Catton.

Norwich, Eaton Christ Church.

Norwich, Saint Gregory. Page 18 the Norfolk Almanac of Disasters.

Norwich, Saint Benedict's. Only a Round Towr survive of this church, the rest destroyed by a bombing raid in August of 1942.

Norwich Heartease St Francis.

Norwich Heigham Holy Trinity.

Norwich Keswick All Saints.

Norwich Lakenham Saint John the Baptist.

Norwich over the Water.

Norwich Cathedral. Norwich Cathedral.

Norwich Saint Andrew. Norwich Saint Andrews. On 5th May, the war again came to the City, on a raid killing one, a raid concentrated on Saint Andrews, damaging the church and destroying a baker's shop, estate agency and a restuarant.


Norwich Blackfriars. Norwich Blackfriars.

Norwich Saint George. Tombland. Norwich Saint George.

Norwich Saint Mary the Less Tombland

Norwich Saint George, Colegate. (Was almost wholly rebuilt between 1459 and 1513, There are good Georgian fittings inside and a Victorian drinking fountain on the churchyard wall).

Norwich Saint Helen.

Norwich, Saint John de Sepulchre. Formerly Hollegate, meaning street in the hollow, nothing to do with churches and not Holy Street, but this because the flowing off the ridge on Ber Street hollowed out the road. It later became Saint John's lLane, Street in the 16th centuryafter the Saint John at Sepulchre church in Ber Street, the Mariner's Lane in the 18th century, from the Mariner's Inn.

Norwich, Saint Margaret.

Norwich, Saint Martin at Oak.

Norwich, Saint Martin at Palace. (The medieval Church of Saint Martin at Palace, on Palace Plain, was much restored in Victorian times. Some of the fiercest fighting in Kett's Rebellion took place near here. On August 1st 1549, Robert Kett's men routed a detachment of royal troops sent to suppress the rising and killed their commander, the yound Lord Sheffield, who was buried in this church. After the defeat the royal forces, under the Marquis of Northampton, withdrew leaving the rebels in command of the city). Saint Martin at Palace land was originally Horlane, from dirty lane or the harstone which marked the city boudary. It became known as Whores Lane in the 18th century, but that was simply from etymology because this area wasn't the red light district of the City!

Norwich, Saint Mary Coslany. (Saint Mary's Plain, has the oldest church tower in Norwich, it was built in the 11th century in the Anglo-Saxon style).

Norwich, Saint Peter Parmentergate.

Norwich, Saint Saviour. (Finally mention is made of gifts by hermits and ancresses: John Castleacre to Saint Saviour, Norwich). John Jacob to Little Massingham; John "heremit" to Walsoken, Alice "heremyte to Saint Giles, Norwich; and Isabella and Katherine, ancresses, to South Lynn.

Norwich Saint John the Baptist.

Norwich Saint Julian. (The church of Saint Julian , off King Street, damaged in the Second World War when it was blown-up by a high-explosive bomb, it only left the north wall and porch standing, the church was restored with a shrine to Dame Julian, the medieval mystic, who was in anchoress here.) Micaclously only 16 people were killed and 15 seriously injured.

Norwich Saint Mary Magdalene.

Norwich Saint Mary in the Marsh.

Norwich Saint Michael at Plea, (Revelations Cafe) Now a cafe, Saint Michael at Plea, Queen Street. Like most Norwich churches, this was rebuilt in the 15th century and is all in the Perpendicular style. The heavy pinnacles on the tower are 19th century. Norwich Saint Michael at Plea

Norwich,Saint Nicholas, Page 36 the Norfolk Almanac of Disasters.

Norwich, Saint James, Pockthorpe.

Norwich Saint Peter Hungate. Norwich Saint Peter Hungate. Originally Hundegate; popular tradition says that the bishop's hounds were kept there, and the name still survives in the church of Saint Peter Hungate. 

Norwich Saint Peter Mancroft. Norwich Saint Peter Mancroft.

Norwich Saint Augustines' New Catton.

Norwich Saint Giles. (Finally mention is made of gifts by hermits and ancresses: John Castleacre to Saint Saviour, Norwich). John Jacob to Little Massingham; John "heremit" to Walsoken, Alice "heremyte to Saint Giles, Norwich; and Isabella and Katherine, ancresses, to South Lynn.

Norwich Saint Lukes New Catton.

Norwich Saint Paul's Tuckswood.

Norwich Saint Stephen. Objects, twelve vestments are adorned with gold starts, either on fabric ot orphrey. Here at Saint Stephen, was a black vest ment with white stars, with white stars on a green ground. Stars and crescents combined occur also, as do gold crowns, crowns and stars, gold crowns and gold stars. Other objects used for ornamentation are lily-pots, white Catherine Wheels with lilies and birds, and gold castles.

Norwich, Saint Simon and Saint Jude.

Norwich, Saint Swithin.

Norwich Saint Thomas Earlham Road.

Norwich Saint Thomas, Grove Walk.

Norwich Thorpe Hamlet, St Matthews.



Diocese of Norwich only have 9 parish churches within the city walls. And details of their opening times can be found on their website at https://www.dioceseofnorwich.org/ or within the online booklet which can be printed off as a pdf.

https://www.dioceseofnorwich.org/files/1715/2033/0170/ENC_2018_-_Feb_2018_Low_res.pdf

21 of the other churches are re-purposed and are in the care of either the Norwich Historic Churches Trust or The Churches Conservation Trust. To gain access you would need to approach both organisations. The administrator for the Norwich Historic Churches Trust can be reached on 01603 611530 or visit https://www.nhct-norwich.org/

For the CCT their website is the best place to start https://www.visitchurches.org.uk/visit/church-listing.html, as they only have three churches in the city

Saint John’s Maddermarket, Saint Augustine’s, St Laurence’s, The last church St Mary the Less is privately opened and access is extremely difficult.