[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]

Cromer, Saint Peter and Saint Paul Church.


Cromer, Saint Peter and Saint Paul Church, Cromer, having had two former churches in them being Shipden juxta Mare (that fell to the sea) and Shipden juxta Felbrigge. the town of Cromer had itself prospered and work began on a new church, for this they used the churchyard of Shipden juxta Felbrigge church. The new church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul, was completed during the reigns of Henry IV (1399-1413) it exhibits the Perpendicular style at its finest. the church owes much to the local shipmen. The church had four chapels, The Chapel of Our Lady of Pity, Chapel of the Good Cross, Chapel of St Nicholas and Maid Ridibons Chapel, this showed the wealth of the town at that time. There were also shrines and images belonging to four different guilds. WW2 took its toll, the windows were damaged when three bombs were dropped.Cromer, Saint Peter and Saint Paul Church, has a square west tower, a clock and 6 bells, 150 feet high, nave, aisles, chancel and north, south and west porches. It is of the Perpendicular style throughout, but the chancel was rebuilt on the old foundations in 1888. Most of the tracery in the windows has been renewed, and the fine hammer-beam roof is modern. Many fine memorials were destroyed during the time of Cromwell, whose soldiers are said to have used the church as barracks. The modern font is a copy of the fine one in Yaxham church, near East Dereham. There are memorial tablets to the Windham, Ditchell, Rust and Earle families and memorial windows to the Buxton, Bond-Cabbell, Herring and other families.  The west window made of Silesian glass from Poznan in Poland was badly damaged. The church was out of use for 11 months while temporary repairs were made. Cromer with its tower of 160ft is by far the highest in Norfolk and dominates the town, both from land and sea. The rest of the building is 15th century in date, this except for a 1880s chancel. The church is strange that it has three porches, the west one is lavish, it has a groined roof over a fine inner doorway with a moulding of shields and angels. There is 19th and 20th century stained glass, there is also mention to Cromers famous son Coxwain Henry Blogg. A memorial window in Saint Peter's church Cromer commemorates the rescue of the Sepoy. On page 182 The Norfolk Almanac of Disasters by Pamela Brooks, mentions of this.
The organ is built of constructed by Norman & Beard Ltd of London.

Shipden juxta Felbrigge Church. Cromer

When the churchyard of Shipden juxta Mare Church was inundated and the building itself began to be threatened, the Rector, John de Lodbrok, together with his parishioners, petitioned King Edward III in 1337 for permission to build a new church. This permission was given, together with an acre of land for the churchyard and the new building was erected on the site of the older Shipden juxta Felbrigge Church.


Shipden juxta Mare Church, Cromer


There appear to have been two early churches in the parish of Shipden, one for the town called Shipden juxta Mare Church, and the other for the hamlet of Cromer, and known as Shipden juxta Felbrigge. The former was washed away by sea, together with a pier that had been constructed to shelter the fishing boats of the men of Shipden and Cromer.
By the last decade of the 14th century nothing seems to have been left of the Shipden Church, the site of the building was probably 400m out to sea beyond the present pier. The so-called "Church Rock", reputed to be part of the ruins, was demolished in 1888 as a danger to shipping. Some years ago the Royal Navy Survey vessel HMS Sharpshooter, which was working off the coast, confirmed the presence of considerable masses of rock or masonry at the site, which is marked by a bouy. When the churchyard of Shipden juxta Mare Church was inundated and the building itself began to be threatened, the Rector, John de Lodbrok, together with his parishioners, petitioned King Edward III in 1337 for permission to build a new church. This permission was given, together with an acre of land for the churchyard and the new building was erected on the site of the older Shipden juxta Felbrigge Church.

Cromer, Saint Peter and Saint Paul Church. Postcode: