[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.


Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church, One of the churches in the Quidenham Group of churches, also a lovely Round Towered Church. Eccles or Ecclesia comes from Norman French Latin, meaning a church. There is a doorway on the outside of the south wall giving access to the rood loft stairway. The reason for this is there was once a south aisle, pulled down in the 13th/14th century and its entrance was then at the east end of the arcade. The filled arcade is apparent from the outside, but the 14th century doorway was moved back into a new position when the aisle and porch were demolished. Inside the church has an octagonal font, this standing on an octagonal pedestal and itself on an octagonal step. The chancel is Early English, though the outside renewed.  And a beautiful double piscina where there are some leaf decoration and pointed trefoils in the spandrels. credit Nikolaus Pevsner. Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church, west bell-cot, 1 bell, nave with north aisle, chancel and south porch. Mainly Perpendicular in style, the tower fell in 1778. The doorway is Transitional Norman and Early English. There is a monument to Ambrose Mears, died 1712, also one to Philip Vincent, died 1724. There was much restoration in 1883.

Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church, Postcode:
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.
Eccles Saint Mary the Virgin Church.