[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Filby Saint Mary Church NR29 3DS


Filby Saint Mary Church, the Four Latin Doctors stand at the corners of the stately 15th century tower looking down on the thatched roof of the nave. And the 14th century quatrefoil windows of the clerestory peep below the deep eaves, some of them with stained coloured glass. Inside the church a dimmed chancel has coloured light, and out through the west doorway of the tower. Very interesting is the old latticed door to the tower staircase, for here and there among its ironwork are no fewer than seven locks, its valuables stored in its tower at one stage. The font is 700 years old, and the hexagonal (6 sided) pulpit around 400. The church has arcades that are 14th century.
A richly coloured window showing Our Lord crowned, Saint Michael and Saint Mary, and a small Crucifixion, is to a churchwarden for 30 years. Among many memorials to the Lucas family is one to Charles Lucas of 1831, showing a boy angel leaning on a broken column, holding a wreath and inverted torch. The great treasure of the church is the chancel screen. The richly carved upper portion is 19th century, but on the traceried panels of the 14th century base is a splendid gallery of eight saints, the remarkable richness of detail in the paintings, showing lions, birds, dogs, and a falcon seizing a hare in the gold brocade of the robes, reminds us of Ranworth's magnificent screen.

Filby Saint Mary Church, Postcode:  NR29 3DS