[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Gissing Saint Mary Church.

Gissing Saint Mary Church.



Gissing Saint Mary's Church, what a beautiful Saxon church with its round tower, idyllic in its setting, village bowls green behind, village pub to its front, below on the west side a flat Norman two light window with incised zig-zag surround, Bell openings also Norman, of two lights with dividing shaft with heavy early scallop capital. Tall tower arch with plain imposts and again more zig-zag in the arch. Norman south doorway, into the nave, One order of shafts with more advanced scallop capitals, and yet more zig-zagging Double hammer-beam roof, screen to Kemp Chapel, monuments  include four Kemp tablets, Robert, 1614, Sir Robert, 1710, (by Edward Stanton, London) Robert, 1734 chancel and several members of the family by Charles Regnart, before 1815. Gissing Saint Mary's Church, West tower, south porch, nave, chancel and north and south chapels, this is an interesting church, with an undoubtedly pre-Conquest round tower, with three circular openings concentrically splayed inside and out and later Norman additions. Norman doors on both sides of nave, that to the south having two orders of chevron moulding with billeted hood mould. The north porch is in flush work with two canopied niches and formerly with a parvise. The double hammer-beam roof is one of the best in Norfolk, being perfectly constructed and has angels holding shields with various initials on them. The nave has new bench ends along the aisle, but the old double arm-rest bench ends against the walls. Two 13th century arches lead to south chancel chapel and the Kemp chapel is interesting, because the rafters over the former altar are carved as a canopy of honour . An old helmet exists in this chapel.

Gissing Saint Mary's Church, Postcode:
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.
Gissing Saint Mary Church.