[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.



Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, Square west tower, 1 bell, nave, chancel with north transept, and south porch, Mainly Decorated and Perpendicular with traces of earlier work. There are mural tablets to the Collyer family. Situated near Melton Constable, the font is of interest. Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, west tower, south porch, nave, north transept and chancel. There  is a chequered parapet to 15th century tower, 15th century font, but modern roofs and benches. High Victorian stained glass; East window 1863 by William Warrington, 4 chancel windows, one nave and one tower west window designed by Preedey. The font is 15th century. Nave roof and chancel details of 1863-64; chancel arch low. Te Deum reredos, arched braced nave and chancel roofs. C15 font. Nave roof and chancel details of 1863-64; cahncel arch low. Te Deum reredos, arched braced nave and chancel roofs. Flint with brick dressings and variegated green and blue slated roof. Perpendicular west tower, nave and north transept; south porch and chancel restored 1863-1864 presumably by Frederick Preedey of Worcester architect, designer of the stained glass. South porch again by Preedey with Annunciation group in niche in gable. South door and blocked nave north door of circa 1300. Preedy was born in Offenham near Evesham in Worcestershire and died at his son's home in Croydon. During his early life his family moved from Offenham to nearby Fladbury. Following his death a memorial was erected to him in the church of St John the Baptist, Fladbury, Worcestershire. This also remembers his wife Mary (1831 - 1889), and daughter Alice Mary (1860 - 1899). He was buried at Foxham in Wiltshire. He trained as an architect in Worcester with Harvey Eginton. Following the early death of Eginton in 1849 he set up his own architectural practice in Worcester. In 1860 he moved his business to London. For his early churches he commissioned stained glass windows from George Rogers in Worcester, but after around 1853 began to make his own glass. He is thought to be the only architect of his time who also both designed and made his stained glass windows. His legacy includes windows in Worcester Cathedral, Gloucester Cathedral, Lincoln Cathedral and Ely Cathedral, and numerous parish churches, particularly in Herefordshire, Worcestershire and Norfolk.
 

Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.
Gunthorpe, Saint Mary Church, NR24-2NX.