[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Hackford, Saint Mary, NR18-9HN.
Hackford, Saint Mary, NR18-9HN.

(Three churches in one graveyard at Reepham)



Hackford, Saint Mary Church ruin, Hackford is one of three churches that were once in one graveyard at Reepham. The three different villages all amalgamated into one, Two of Reepham's neighbours set up shop in Reephams graveyard, both Saint Michael's Whitwell and Saint Mary's Reepham still survive, they date from around 1300, both have had restoration, Whitwell as late as a few years ago. The third church was mostly destroyed in the Great Fire of Reepham in 1543 and was later demolished, only the small wall stands on the site today. A simple tower crowns the small 14th century church by a quiet lane, and a neat 15th century porch, its walls adorned with arcading, shelters a finely panelled stoup by the old door, which opens to a cream-walled nave and chancel. Among a few old glass fragments in medieval windows is a figure of an angel. There is an odd corner piscina by window sedilia, the quaint old rood stairway still remains, and the 15th century font, with eight shafts round the stem, is carved with sacred emblems and family coats of arms. There is a carved Jacobean chair, and a 16th century chest has fine carving of ferns.

Hackford, Saint Mary Church ruin, NR18-9HN.