[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Heigham Saint Barnabus Church NR29 5LL


Heigham Saint Barnabus Church, west tower, north porch, nave north and south aisles, chancel and north chancel chapel. Mainly Perpendicular. The district of Heigham, flanked by the city on the east and by Earlham on the west, grew during the 19c from a small village clustered around the church of St Bartholomew to a large residential suburb. This growth led to its division into several parishes of a more manageable size, served by the new churches of St Barnabas, St Philip, St Thomas and Holy Trinity. It was unfortunate that the "mother" church of St Bartholomew, with its continuous history going back over centuries, should have been the victim of an incendiary attack during the raid of 29th April 1942. As it stood at the time of its destruction it consisted of a square embattled western tower some 44 feet high, in which were two bells; a nave, without clerestory; north and south aisles; and a chancel.

Heigham Saint Barnabus Church, Postcode: NR29 5LL