[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Hickling Saint Mary Church NR12 0BQ


Hickling Saint Mary Church, west tower, south porch, nave, north and south aisles and chancel. A fine tower to the belfry stage, where it fails badly. It has a good base course with stone trail and a splendidly grouped door and west window, with the string course at first stage returning downwards into sill of window. The door has a deep casement mould filled with shields and elaborately carved spandrils, and the window above is treated similarly, with a little band of shields between the two. Above the window is a niche and good traceried sound holes. There are salient angles to the tower, but too small to have any effect. the porch has a parvise. 14th century font with tracery on bowl and shaft, three decker-pulpit and an early Stuart table and modern roofs and fittings. Near Stalham, this church has a square west tower, 5 bells, nave with aisles, but no clerestory, chancel and south porch. The style is mainly Decorated throughout, with fine tracery in many of the windows. the tower is 90 feet high and forms a good landmark. There is an ancient altar tomb. Check the 1645 roundhead and other grafetti out on the Tomb. The village of Hickling is said to have dated back to the 5th century A.D. It's unsure when the first church was built here, however this was the site of a church at the Norman Conquest as it was recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086, In the 13th century the Augustinian Canons formed Hickling Priory nearby that was founded in 1185 and the priors had begun building this present church in a village granted to Hickley Priory by then King John in 1204. The church originally dedicated to All Saints. At the Dissolution of the Priory, in 1536m the church took the dedication of Saint Mary. The church was heavily restored in 1875. There is a memorial in the south aisle for Horatio Beckett, this paid for by the choir, he was church organist from 1889-1893, he was teacher at a school and then became butcher when his father died. Also a large chest tomb inscribed with grafetti as afore mentioned with "Roundehead 1645" This probably dated around 1627, and to Sir William Wodehouse, granted the Priory by the Crown in 1542 after the Dissolution, Sir William was knighted for gallantry in 1544 and was MP for Yarmouth 1545-47) A stone coffin lid was found thought to be that of Rosa, the daughter of Robert de Valoins, Lord of the Manor. who founded the Priory and brought here from elsewhere. Links to Waxham church.

Hickling Saint Mary Church NR12 0BQ