[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.

Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.



Saint Martin's Hindringham, a tall striking tower of 84' spews from this rather beautiful church on the side of a road, the church itself found by going down an adjacent lane close by. The church has been extensively added on to, this mainly in the 14th century just before the Black Death, and has a different tower. The original tower collapsed about 1386, the belfry windows earlier. On entering the front porch, one can see a delightful Holy water stoup, this contains three doves. The church has one of the prettiest fonts I have seen, octagonal in shape, it rises two levels and nestles on a octagonal pedestal, it has a crowned MRs and crowned Ts on the stem. These stand for Maria Regina and the Holy Trinity. Under the bowl are some odd faces. The 8 sides of the bowl each have an interesting carving. Facing W is the Royal Arms of England of 1406-1603. Before that the date there would have been more than 3 fleur de lys in each quarter. This confirms the font to be 15th century. . There is a wooden lectern, and a beautiful organ that sits to one side. There is a parish chest of Norman age, and both Victorian and a Weeping Chancel. There is a small "Squint" or Leper Hole near the chancel, people uninvited to the church could watch the priest from outside. The church contains a funeral bier. a Parish Chest and Medieval glass  of the Perpendicular Period. Saint Martin's Hindringham Church, near Walsingham, the church has a square west tower, a clock and 5 bells, nave with aisles, chancel and south porch. Mainly early Perpendicular work, but the chancel was partly rebuilt in 1870 and has a fine Decorated window. The tower is very lofty and of good proportions. There is a piscina and hagioscope (another word for a SQUINT) in the south aisles. The font, raised on steps, is carved, and of interest. Most of the church is medieval, though the chancel was made new and the tower was restored last century. The rest is 14th and 15th century, and to the earlier time belong the beautiful nave arcades and the two arches between the chancel and the chapel. The lofty tower arch is richly moulded, the fine sedilia seats have traceried canopies, and the porch has a Holy water stoup and an old oak door.
the old font, standing proudly on two high steps, has the Four Evangelists and the Crucifixion round the bowl, and crowns and letters round the stem. In the chancel stands the church's great possession, a treasure rare in the land, for this massive oak chest, carved on the front with stars and interlaced arcading, with its slightly rounded lid opening on pin hinges, and with a simple iron lock, is one of the most ancient coffers in England at least 750 years old.

Saint Martin's Hindringham Church, Postcode:
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.
Hindringham, Saint Martin's Church.