[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]

Houghton near Harpley, Saint Martin's Church.



Houghton near Harpley, Saint Martin's church, stands proudly in the park beside Houghton Hall. The 18th century re-facing of its flint walls gives the misleading impression of a completely re-built church. The south aisle was refurbished in 1502 and the north aisle window mullions could well be original late Perpendicular work of much the same date. Sir Robert Walpole had the north aisle parapet replaced with a classical cornice around 1726, when the west tower was re-constructed. inside, there are good chancel stalls with 17th century backs, box pews in the nave, and a 19th century gallery on 4 cast-iron piers. There are heraldic shields in the east windows of both the aisles and Norfolk's finest display of hatchments to the Walpole and Cholmondeley families in the nave.

The church may be visited free of charge whenever the Hall is open.