[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Knights and Knights Templar of Norfolk.
Knights and Knights Templar of Norfolk by the Old Boi.


A list of Norfolk's Knight's and Knight Templars and a brief history. (Ones shown on Norfolk memorials).
The Provincial Priory of East Anglia is part of the Great Priory of England and Wales, one of the governing bodies in the UK for the United Religious, Military and Masonic Orders of the Temple and of St. John of Jerusalem, Palestine, Rhodes and Malta, which is one of the chivalric orders in Freemasonry.



1, At South Acre, (Saint George Church) In the north aisle is an ancient stone recumbent monument of a Knight Templar, supposed to be the first Sir Eudo de Harsyk who went to the First Crusade, (It is very probable that Wimer was the ancestor of the Harsick family, for Sir Eudo de Arsik held this lordship of the Earl Warren about the reign of Hen. I. by the service of being castellan or keeper of his castle at Acre or Castle-acre, in which office, Sir Eudo his son succeeded, and died 6th July, 1179, leaving his son, Sir Eudo, who was a considerable benefactor to the abbey of Castleacre, and with Alice his wife, gave them lands to repair their mill here, called Witemill, and the pool, with that of Newmill; which Alice was daughter and heir of Watshall: this last Sir Eudo, Alice his wife, and their son and heir Sir Alexander Harsick, were living in 1239, as appears by a fine then levied between them, and Ralph Prior of Castleacre; and the said Sir Eudo died 17th September, 1241, (the said Alice surviving him,) being lord also of Dunham-Magna and East Lexham; he gave lands in those towns to the hospital of St. Mary Magdalen by Lynn, with a fold course for 250 sheep at Dunham Magna, and his lady also gave land and a fold course for 250 sheep at East Lexham, which the said hospital enjoys at this day).

2,  At South Acre, (Saint George Church)there is an alabaster and marble monument to Sir John Barkham, a native of the village, and one time Lord Mayor of London and his wife. Further checks make out this person to be one Sir Edward Barkham, possible father/brother to Sir John,
He has a beautiful marble tomb in a church in Norfolk, England. He had four children, who are shown on his tomb, his father's family were originally from Norfolk and settled in Tottenham, London.

3, Anmer Saint Mary's Church have been partly erected by Sir Oliver Calthorpe, abt. 1332 - 1399, the 14th century chapel was. (some confusion as to the right Sir Oliver Calthorpe, all research adds to him coming from Burnham).

4, In 1906 Anmer Saint Mary's Church was re-seated at the expense of His late Majesty, King Edward VII and Vice Admiral Sir F.T. Hamilton. Sir Frederick Tower Hamilton GCVO, KCB (8 March 1856 – 4 October 1917) was a senior Royal Navy officer who went on to be second Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Hamilton joined the Royal Navy in 1869 as a cadet on the training ship Britannia. He fought in Naval Brigade in the Zulu War in 1879, for which service he was mentioned in dispatches. After promotion to Lieutenant he specialised into the Torpedo Branch and in 1884 after training was appointed a staff officer at the Torpedo School ship HMS Vernon. In 1892 he was promoted to commander and serving aboard the battleship HMS Hood. He was appointed in command of the torpedo school ship HMS Defiance at Devonport on 1 November 1897, promoted to captain on 1 January 1898, and re-appointed in command of the Defiance the same day. On 18 March 1902 he was appointed flag captain of the battleship HMS Bulwark, which in May was to become flagship of Admiral Sir Compton Domvile, Commander-in-Chief of the Mediterranean Fleet. Hamilton was Aide-de-Camp to the King between 1906 and 1907. At the outset of the WWI Hamilton was Second Sea Lord and Chief of Naval Personnel and was promoted to full admiral in June 1916. He went on to be Commander-in-Chief, later that year but died suddenly from a heart attack in 1917 and is buried in Fife. He lived at Anmer Hall near King's Lynn in Norfolk.

5, The reredos is a memorial at Anmer Saint Mary's Church to Admiral of the Fleet the Hon. Sir Henry Keppel, who died on 17th January 1904. Admiral of the fleet Sir Henry Keppel GCB, OM (14 June 1809 – 17 January 1904) was a Royal Navy officer. His first command was largely spent off the coast of Spain, which was then in the midst of the first Carlist War. As commanding officer of the corvette HMS Dido on the East Indies and China Station he was deployed in operations during the First Opium War and in operations against Borneo pirates. He later served as commander of the naval brigade besieging Sebastopol during the Crimean War. After becoming second-in-command of the east Indies and China Station, he commanded the British squadron in the action with Chinese pirates at the Battle of Fatshan Creek when he sank around 100 enemy war junks. He subsequently took part in the capture of Canton during the Second Opium War. Keppel went on to be Commander in Chief, Cape of Good Hope and West Coast of Africa Station, then Commander in Chief, South East Coast of America Station, Commander in Chief, China Station and finally Commander in Chief Plymouth.

6, Ashwellthorpe All Saints Church, near Wymondham has the splendid white marble altar tomb bearing effigies of Sir Edmund de Thorpe and his lady, dated 1446. 1st son of Sir Edmund Thorpe (1319-93) of Ashwellthorpe by Joan (d.1400), daughter. of Robert Baynard and sis. and h. of Thomas Baynard of Colkirk and Gately, Norfolk. m. 6 Oct. 1368, Margaret, daughter. of Sir Richard de la River of Little Dunham; between July 1387 and Mar. 1388, Joan (d. 3 Jan. 1415), daughter. of John Northwood of Northwood, Kent by Katherine, daughter. and coh. of Sir John Aspell of Stoneham and Cowling, Suffolk., widow. of Roger, 4th Lord Scales, 2da. Knighted. before. Mar. 1388. (The Thorpes took their name from Ashwellthorpe, a few miles to the south-west of Norwich, and their substantial estates in Norfolk included manors in Wreningham, Fundenhall, Bunwell, Little Massingham and North Creake. Through marriage, our Sir Edmund’s father had acquired other properties at Colkirk and Gateley, while over the border in Suffolk he was in possession of manorial estates at Horham and Stradbroke. By 1380 the elder Sir Edmund could expect an annual income of at least £100 from his landed holdings. Edmund junior was to inherit all these family estates, with the exception of two manors in Norfolk and lands in Stradbroke which were reserved for the support of his younger brothers. His father, who had fought at Crécy and represented Norfolk in four Parliaments (in 1371, 1379, 1380 and 1384), made his will in 1393 at the age of 74, leaving family heirlooms to Joan his wife (who lived on until 1400) and then to Sir Edmund junior as the eldest of his four surviving sons.1In 1368 Edmund, probably no more than a child, had been wedded to Margaret de la River, but no heirs to the Thorpe estates resulted from this union. When he married again, nearly 20 years later, his choice of a wife caused an immediate increase in his wealth and standing).

7, At Attenborough all Saints Church, has a south transept built by Sir William Mortimer, of 1296. William Mortimer of Attleborough, in Norfolk, was active as an envoy between England and Scotland and assisted in the introduction of Norman style feudalism into lowland Scotland, by arranging the marriage of young Norman knights into the Scottish aristocracy,

8, Baconsthorpe Saint Mary Church has a monument to Sir William Heydon and his wife.William De HEYDON (Sir Knight). Born: ABT 1080, Normandy or Norfolk, Norwich, England. Sir William de Heydon, Knight, born ca. 1080.  His daughter was Isabel de Heydon born ca. 1104.  She was married in Poynton, Cheshire in 1127 to William de Warrene who was the son of John de Warrene and Alice de Townsend.  Sir Simon de Heydon, Knight, no dates for Simon: He was knighted in the Holy Land.  There is a birth gap of exactly 105 years between Sir William and son of Simon, born in 1185.

9, Here at Baconsthorpe Saint Mary Church are brasses dedicated to Sir John Heydon. (born ca 1410, died 1480, age 70.) had land in Heydon in 1431 and moved his family to Baconsthorpe in 1447 where his father William had already moved and had land and estates. The Heydon families sold some, but not all, of their estates in and around Heydon. John married Eleanor Winter, (year-?) daughter of Edmund Winter Esq. of Barningham, Norfolk, by whom he had one son,
Sir John Heydon's mummified hand, said to be cut off in a duel, (for no apparent reason, is in Norwich Castle, given by his family.

10, At Baconsthorpe, Saint Mary Church, are brasses to Sir Christopher Heydon of 1579. Christopher II, died Dec. 10, 1579. “He was held in great esteem and veneration for his many excellent qualities, particularly for his justice, charity and remarkable hospitality, equal to his ample estate.  He is said to have entertained thirty head, or master shepherds of his own flocks at a Christmas dinner at Baconsthorpe.”  He was known as “the great housekeeper” in the county. He was married three times. His first wife was Lady Ann (Drury) who died Sept 5, 1561 and she is entombed in the south aisle of Baconsthorpe Church with him.  She was the daughter of Sir William Drury, Knight, of Hawsted, Suffolk. There is a brass plaque to her memory set in the wall; photo below of plaque.  Also see 1887 photo of ruins below of the Saxlingham home built by him.

11, Banham Saint Mary Church has a wooden effigy, on the north side of the chancel, of Sir Hugh Bardolph, of a Knight in armour. He is reputed to be the founder of the church. Baron Bardolf or Bardolph was a title in the Peerage of England. The title was created when Sir Hugh Bardolf of Wormegay in Norfolk received a writ of summons to Parliament on 6th February 1299. (c. 29 September 1259 – September 1304). Married Isabel Aguillon through which the "Mess of Gyron" sergeantry was inherited. After his death the barony passed from father to son until 4 December 1406, when the fifth Baron was declared by Parliament to be a traitor, and the title was forfeited.

12, Barningham Norwood, SS Peter and Paul Church, there are three fine monuments to this Knight, Sir Austin Palgrave died in 1720. Sir Sheriff Augustine Palgrave, of Norfolk, Northwood Barningham Church, Northwood Barningham, Norfolk, England The monumental inscription states that he had 9 sons and 5 daughters, whose names are all given

BURIAL: Place, Will requested burial "in a morning in the grave
where my good Wife was lately buried which is in ye upper end of ye
North Ile of ye church of Nortwood Barningham".

13, Blickling Saint Andrew's Church has a large memorial to Sir Nicholas Dagworth, Lord of the Manor 1401. Probable. years. of Nicholas Dagworth (d.1351) of Dagworth, Suffolk. and Bradwell, Essex, and nephew of Thomas, Lord Dagworth.  July 1395, Eleanor (c.1377-28 Dec. 1432),  of Sir Walter Rossall of Rossall near. Shrewsbury, Salop, and Hunmanby, Yorks. by his wife. Beatrice, and coh. of her brother. Sir John Rossall (d.1403), widow. of John Inglefield, s.p. Knighted. before. Dec. 1365. Dagworth went on to serve in Gascony under the Black Prince in the years 1355-7, and as a member of Edward III’s army in France in 1359-60. During the latter campaign and when captain of Flavigny in Burgundy, he, along with no more than 13 others, emerged victorious from a passage of arms with a greatly superior French force. Knighted not long afterwards, he returned to Gascony and in December 1365 he was associated with Sir William Elmham and other leaders of English companies which joined the French-sponsored expedition into Spain to put Henry of Trastamara on the Castilian throne. Capt. of Flavigny, Burgundy 1359-c. Mar. 1360.Constable of Norham castle and steward, sheriff, escheator and c.j. of the episcopal liberty of Norhamshire and Islandshire, Northumb. by appointment of Bp. Hatfield of Durham, 1370-July 1373.

14, Bradenham West has a monumental stone in the chancel to Thomas de Cailly, who died as rector here in 1318. His son was Sir Adam de Cailly. John De Cailly, as appears by a trial, was lord of Cranwich, temp. Richard I. He was also lord of Massingham, Bradenham, Oxburgh, Denver, Hillington, Hecham, Hudeburgh, &c. Hts dan., Beatrix, m. William de Butery. His son,
- John de Cailly, was lord of these manors, 4 John, (1202.) He m. Margery, who, after his death, m. Michael de Poynlngs. His son was
- Adam de Cailly. In 17 John there is a mandate to Hervey Belet, "That he do not receive Into the king's peace, Hugh de Plaiz, Michael de Poynlngs, William de Stuleville, William de Mortimer, Adam de Cayly, and Robert de Clere, until the king otherwise commands. Witness the King, at Stamford, 88 Feb." Adam de Callly paid £h to plead before the king, in the case of waste in Bradenham forest, during the dower of Margerie, his mother, who was married to Michael de Poynlngs, she being to have only reasonable estovers of house bote, hedge bote, and wood to burn, by view of the forester of Adam de Kayly. By Mabel, his wife, he had, besides other sons,

15, Breccles Magna Saint Margaret Church, There is an old monument to John Webb, esq., died 1658, and Mary his wife, daughter of Sir Thomas Richardson died 1626. Richardson was advanced to the Chief Justice of the King's Bench on 24 October 1631, and served on the western circuit. He was not a puritan but in Lent 1632 he made and order, at the instance of the Somerset magistrates, for suppressing the 'wakes' or Sunday revels, which were a fertile source of crime in the county. He directed the order to be read in church and this brought him into conflict with Laud, who sent for him and told him it was the king's pleasure he should rescind the order. Richardson ignored this instruction until the King himself repeated it. He then, at the ensuing summer Assizes (1633), laid the matter fairly before the justices and grand jury, professing his inability to comply with the royal mandate on the ground that the order had been made by the joint consent of the whole bench, and was in fact a mere confirmation and enlargement of similar orders made in the county since the time of Queen Elizabeth, all which he substantiated from the county records. This caused him to be cited before the council, reprimanded, and transferred to the Essex circuit. 'I am like,' he muttered as he left the council board, 'to be choked with the archbishop's lawn sleeves.' Richardson died at his house in Chancery Lane on 4 February 1635 and was buried in the north aisle of the choir of Westminster Abbey, beneath a marble monument. There is a bust by Hubert Le Sueur.

16, Breccles, monument to Ursula Webb, wife of Sir William Hewyt: (She was buried upright) Blomefield wrote:
This is placed over the coffin of Ursula Webb, daughter of the said John Webb, Esq. and Mary Richardson, wife of Sir William Hewyt, Knt. who was interred in an upright posture by her own desire, according to the purport of the inscription. By her lies her husband under a black marble, on which are the arms of,
Hewyt impaling Webb, with a raven for a crest, and this,
Here under lieth the Body of Sir WILLIAM HEWYT, Knight, who married URSULA WEBB, Daughter to JOHN WEBB, Esq; he died Apr. 4, 1667, aged 52 Years.

17, Bressingham Saint John the Baptist. The church was entirely rebuilt by Sir Roger Pilkington in 1527.Sir John Pilkington (d. 1421) was granted custody of the manors of Prestwich and Alkrington. He married Margaret (d. 1436), heir of John Verdon of Brixworth, Northamptonshire, soon after the death of her first husband, Hugh Bradshaw of Leigh. Margaret's son from her first marriage, William Bradshaw, died in 1415, leaving a daughter, Elizabeth. In 1430 Margaret settled the manors of her inheritance which included Stagenhoe in Hertfordshire, Clipston Northamptonshire and Brixworth in Northamptonshire, and Bressingham in Norfolk

18, Brockdish SS Peter and Paul Church. The old rood screen was restored by two daughters of the late Rt Hon, Sir Edward Kay, in 1900. Sir Edward Ebenezer Kay (2 July 1822 – 16 March 1897) was a British jurist. He was an English High Court Judge Chancery Division from 1881 to 1890, and a Lord Justice of Appeal from 1890, when he was made a Privy Councillor, until his retirement in January 1897. He was born in Meadowcroft near Rochdale and grew up in Bury (both nowadays part of Greater Manchester) and was the brother of Sir James Kay-Shuttleworth, 1st Baronet and of Joseph Kay. Their father Robert Kay of Rochdale was a follower of the Nonconformist Lancashire Congregational Union and served as its treasurer until 1817. He was admitted to Trinity College, Cambridge in 1839 and received a B.A.. in 1844 and an M.A.. in 1847. He was admitted to Lincoln's Inn in 1844, called to the bar in 1847. He became an authorised reporter at the Court of Chancery and was the author of "Kay's Reports" and part of "Kay and Johnson's Reports" during the period from 1853 to 1858. He became QC in 1866. In 1850 he married his wife Mary Valence French, the daughter of William French who was Master of Jesus College from 1820 to 1849. In 1883 he was living at Thorpe Abbotts in Brockdish South Norfolk. His wife died in 1889 or 1890 and he founded the Lady Kay Scholarship in her memory, open to students at Jesus College, Cambridge who have the intention of seeking Holy Orders in the Church of England.

19, There is an ancient altar tomb at Brockdish SS Peter and Paul Church to Sir Richard Tendring, who died at the end of the 15th century. In 1465, Jeffry Wurliche of Brockdish was buried here, and in 1469 John Wurliche was interred in the nave, and left a legacy to pave the bottom of the steeple. In 1518, Henry Bokenham of Brockdish was buried in the church, as were many of the Spaldings, Withes, Howards, Grices, Tendrings, and Laurences; who were all considerable owners and families of distinction in this town. The chapel at the east end of the south isle was made by Sir Ralf Tendring of Brockdish, Knt. whose arms remain in its east window at this day, once with, and once without, a crescent az. on the fess, viz. az. a fess between two chevrons arg. His altar monument stands against the east wall, north and south, and hath a sort of cupola over it, with a holy-water stope by it, and a pedestal for the image of the saint to which it was dedicated, to stand on, so that it served both for a tomb and an altar; the brass plates of arms and circumscription are lost. On the north side, between the chapel and nave, stands another altar tomb, covered with a most curious marble disrobed of many brass plates of arms and its circumscription, as are several other stones in the nave, isle, and chancel. This is the tomb of John Tendring of Brockdish-hall, Esq. who lived there in 1403, and died in 1436, leaving five daughters his heirs, so that he was the last male of this branch of the Tendrings. Cecily his wife is buried by him.

20, Burnham Thorpe All Saints Church. there is a fine brass in the chancel to Sir William Calthorpe, lord of the manor and patron of the church, he died 1420. Sir William Calthorpe (30 January 1410 – 15 November 1494) was an English knight and Lord of the Manors of Burnham Thorpe and Ludham in Norfolk.. He is on record as High Sheriff of Norfolk and Suffolk in 1442, 1458 and 1464 and 1476.Calthorpe is recorded on 28 June 1443, when he released one of his villians, from serfdom and set him free from all future services. He became locum tenens and Commissary-General to the late most noble and potent William, Duke of Norfolk, Earl of Pembroke and Lord Great Chamberlain of England, Ireland and Aquitaine, during the minority of the Duke's son and heir, Henry, Earl of Exeter. In 1469, Sir William described himself as Sir William Calthorp of Ludham, a manor which he owned, as well as that of Burnham Thorpe. In 1479, he was Steward of the household of the Duke of Norfolk. Calthorpe was made a Knight of the Bath in the Tower of London, by King Edward IV, on the Coronation of his Queen, Elizabeth Wydville, Ascension Day, 26 May 1465. Calthorpe's first wife was Elizabeth (1406-1437), daughter of Reginald Grey, 3rd Baron Grey de Ruthyn (1362-1440), by whom Sir William had a son and two daughters. His second wife was Elizabeth (c. 1441-18 February 1505), eldest daughter and co-heir of Sir Miles Stapleton of Ingham Norfolk, by his spouse, Katherine de la Pole (c. 1416-1488)), who settled the manor of Hempstead Norfolk, upon Elizabeth. Sir William was subsequently found to be lord of three parts of it in 1491; his second surviving son, Sir Francis, died possessed of it in 1544, and his son William next inherited it, and sold it about 1573. Calthorpe made Presentations to the Rectory of Beeston Norfolk in 1460, 1481, 1492, and the Rectory of Hempstede in 1479 and 1485.

21, Carleton Rode All Saints Church, there is a mural monument to the wife of a late rector, the Rev. Frederick Stephen Bevan, rector from 1822. She was daughter of Sir Robert Buxton, Bart. Sir Robert John Buxton, 1st Baronet (27 October 1753 – 7 June 1839) was a politician who sat in the House of Commons between 1790 and 1806. Buxton was born at Rushford Norfolk, the son of John Buxton and his wife Elizabeth Jacob and grandson of John Buxton who designed and built Shadwell Lodge at Rushford. The Norfolk Buxtons are thought to have taken their name from the Norfolk village of that name and to have descended from Robert Buxton MP (1533-1607) an attorney in the service of Thomas Duke of Norfolk. His father was an ill-tempered character during his last years, which made the relationship between father and son increasingly difficult. Buxton was expelled from Shadwell and his father severely cut his income after he married without his father's consent. They were reconciled by 1779, three years before his father's death. Buxton was elected Member of Parliament (MP) for Thetford in 1790 and held the seat until 1796. In 1797 he was elected MP for Great Bedwyn  and held the seat until 1806. He was a loyal supporter of William Pitt. He campaigned openly for the abolition of slavery throughout his political career, and on several occasions advocated prison reform. In 1802, he supported Sir Robert Peel's proposals to regulate child labour. On behalf of the landed interest, he opposed measures such as the regulation of labourers' wages or the sale of corn in the public market. He was a fervent patriot and supported the government's war effort where possible. He backed the increase of the militia and the Additional Force Act of 1804. He was created a Baronet of Shadwell Lodge in the County of Norfolk on 25 November 1800. Buxton died at age 85 at Shadwell Lodge, Norfolk. He married Juliana Mary Beevor, daughter of Sir Thomas Beevor, 1st Bt. and Elizabeth Branthwaite, on 22 May 1777 at St. George's Church, St. George Street, Hanover Square, London. His son John succeeded to the baronetcy.

22, Caston The Holy Cross Church, in the north wall of the nave is a recess, which is supposed to be the tomb of the founder-Sir John de Caston.

23, Cockthorpe All Saints Church near Wells, there is a monument in the aisle to Sir John Calthorpe and his wife, who is said to have lived to see 193 of her descendants; she died in 1639, twenty four years after her husband.

24, Cockthorpe All Saints Church, was the birthplace of three famous Admirals of the 17th century-
Sir Cloudesley Shovel, 1650-1707,

Sir John Narborough, 1640-1688, John Narborough was baptised in Cockthorpe Church on 11th October 1640. His pickled bowels, together with other internal organs were buried in Knowlton Church near Deal Kent, in 1688. Narborough is one of the most interesting of Norfolk seamen. Through him, as we shall see, there are connections with other seamen from this county. He was to die whist taking part in a semi-official sunken treasure Hunt and his participation in that affair was to result in a sensational piece of archaeological detection work in 1978.
Narborough was a lieutenant in 1664 and for the next two years followed Sir Christopher Myngs into successive ships. He was at the Battle of Lowestoft in 1665, and was on board The Victory in 1666. Myngs was fatally wounded.

Sir Christopher Minns.
----------

25, North Creake Saint Mary the Virgin, there is a fine brass, about 1500, to Sir William Colthorpe, the effigy in in academical dress under a triple canopy and is holding on his right arm a model of the church he rebuilt.

26, Elsing Saint Mary Church, 1340, the church, entirely of Decorated Style. Built by Sir Hugh Hasting, who was commander in Chief of the Armies of Edward III. He was born in Elsing village and built the church as a thank-offering for victories in France. He lies buried beneath a very fine brass. Sir Hugh Hastings was born circa 1307, the son of Baron John Hastings and his second wife Isabel daughter of Hugh de Spencer, Earl of Winchester. Sir Hugh Hastings was an important military commander under King Edward III in the early years of the Hundred Years War,seeing service in France and Flanders and at the battle of Crecy. Sir Hugh Hastings married Margery Foliot, daughter of Sir Richard Foliot in 1330. They had two sons, John who died sans progeny, and Sir Hugh Hastings who married Margaret Everingham daughter of Adam Everingham. Three daughters, Isabel, Maud, and Margaret were also born to the union. Sir Hugh Hastings resided at Elsing, Norfolk and was buried at the parish church of Elsing. An elaborate brass of Sir Hugh Hastings remains extant today in the church. His wife Margery Foliot died in 1349.

27, Emneth Saint Edmund Church, inside is a fine alter tomb with effigies to Sir Thomas Hewar, his lady and their infant son, executed by Nicholas Stone, master mason to James I. The oldest memorials are coffin-lids, one with a border and a cross of leaves. Only the matrix is left of the 11-foot-long (3.4 m) brass of a cross-legged knight dressed in chain mail of about 1300. Sir Thomas Hewar, who died in 1631, planned for himself the fine alabaster tomb on which he lies in gold and white armour and a ruff, with his wife in a black gown and ruff. He had paid Nicholas Stone a London Mason the huge sum of £95 for the tomb in 1617. At their feet lies a sleeping child.

28, Emneth Saint Edmund Church, there is a indent of brass to Sir Adam de Haybeck.

29, Erpingham Saint Marys Church, There is a brass, dated 1370, to Sir John Erpingham, father of Sir Thomas Erpingham, who commenced the building of this church. Lord Bardolph is said to have finished it.

30, Felbrigg Saint Margaret Church, on a large marble slab in the nave is a fine sepulchral brass, with effigy in complete armour, to Sir Simon de Felbrygge, Knight of the Garter and Standard Bearer to Richard II, died 1443 and his wife.

31, Felbrigg Saint Margaret Church, an effigy in armour to Thomas, third son of Sir Edmund Windham, died 1599.

32, Fersfield Saint Andrew Church, This church was built by Sir Robert and William du Blois and contains monuments to those gentlemen. There is also a marble slab to Rev Francis Blomefield, B.A.,rector here for twenty three years, died 15th January, 1752. He was a great antiquarian and historian and author of what we now know as "Blomefield's Norfolk"

33, Foulsham The Holy Innocents Church, The chancel is Decorated up to the clerestory, which here exists without aisles, This part of the church was founded by Sir Robert Morley. The rest of the church is Perpendicular and is said to have been built by one of the Lord Morleys in about 1489. The great fire of 1770, which destroyed part of the town, did great damage to the church. A large restoration followed.

34, Foulsham The Holy Innocents Church, the church was largely destroyed by the Great Fire of 1770, (which also burned down most of the town), and was rebuilt by Sir Edward Astley.

35, Foulsham The Holy Innocents Church, there is an alabaster monument in the chancel to Sir Thomas Hunt, died 1616, with his effigy in armour and He as he was married three times, always to a widow. The wife who survived him is wearing a different headdress, she is the last one in the row of three women kneeling behind Sir Thomas.

36, Foulsham The Holy Innocents Church, Small finds have also been found from the post medieval period including in particular an impressive gold double-sided seal ring, thought to have belonged to Sir Thomas Anguish (1536 to 1617), a Mayor of Norwich, or to his cousin Edmund. This was found in 1996 and is now in the Castle Museum.

37, Gunton Saint Andrew Church, built on the site of an ancient church in Gunton Park, in 1769 by Sir William Harbord, with white bricks and plaster rendering in the form of a Roman Temple. Lieutenant-Colonel William Assheton Harbord, 2nd Baron Suffield (21 August 1766 – 1 August 1821) was an MP for Ludgershall (1790–1796) and Plympton Erie  (7 February 1807 – 4 February 1810). He was Lieutenant-Colonel commandant of the Norfolk Fencibles. (1794), the Blickling Rifle Volunteers (1803), and East Norfolk Regiment of Militi (1808). He was an English amateur cricketer. He was mainly associated with (M.C.C.). Harbord made three known appearances in 1st class cricket matches during the 1791 season. He succeeded his father, Harbord Harbord, 1st Baron Suffield, as Baron Suffield in February 1810. He married Lady Caroline Hobart, daughter of John Hobart, 2nd Earl of Buckinghamshire, but had no children. On his death his title passed to his brother Edward. He played an intermittent role in politics, being regarded as a strong if not vocal supporter of William Pitt the Younger and later of Spencer Perceval. Although he had a strong family link with Castlereagh, who had married Caroline's sister Lady Amelia Hobart, the two men were not close politically. He opposed the abolition of the slave trade in 1807.

38, Hardwick Saint Margaret Church, One of two fine alter tombs belong to Sir Peter Gleane, Bart, died 1694. The other his son Thomas. Gleane’s ancestors were eminent merchants in Tudor Norwich. His great-grandfather acquired Hardwick and his grandfather sat for Norwich in 1628-9. His father avoided involvement in the Civil War, but Gleane himself, by his own account, ‘raised and armed two foot companies at his own charge’. In fact he served in the regiment of the Somerset Royalist Sir Thomas Bridges, and he did not compound, presumably because in his father’s lifetime he had no estates worth sequestrating. He remained a royalist suspect under the Protectorate. During the second Dutch war he was created a baronet and as second-in-command to Lord Townshend took the leading part in organizing the defence of Yarmouth. Lord Yarmouth (Robert Paston), the leader of the rival faction in Norfolk politics, admitted Gleane’s record of loyalty, but described him as ‘a melancholy man’, perhaps owing to financial troubles. He was removed from local office with Townshend in 1676. He was forced to sell Hardwick to Sir John Holland, and when he died on 7 Feb. 1696 he was apparently not buried in his tomb. His eldest son subsisted for a time on a pension of £20 a year from the county rates, and when this was withdrawn he was flung naked and starving into the Fleet prison. No later member of the family entered Parliament.

39, Harling East SS. Peter and Paul Church, (Saint Mary's Chapel) Harling has a few monuments available for this section of churches of Norfolk, Sir John de Herling, 1396 is buried here.

40, Harling East SS. Peter and Paul Church, there is a marble altar tomb with marble effigies to Sir Robert Herling, slain in 1435 during the French War and subsequently buried here.

41, Harling East SS. Peter and Paul Church, there is a tomb to Sir Thomas Lovell, died 1600.

42, Harling East SS. Peter and Paul Church, there is a fourth monument at the entrance to (Saint Anne's Chapel), to Sir William Chamberlain, died 1462.

43, Harpley Saint Lawrence Church, is said to have been built by Sir Robert Knowles, a General in the reigns of Edward III and Richard II.

44, Hellington Saint John the Baptist, there is a brass to Sir Anthony Gawdy, dated 1642.

45, Hethersett Saint Remigius Church. here there is an altar tomb with effigies to Sir William Bernak and his wife 14th century.

46, Hethersett Saint Remigius Church, there is a tomb with effigies to Sir R. Berney and his wife of the 14th century.

47, Hockering Saint Michael Church, Robert de Morley, 6th Baron Morley  (20 November 1418 - 25 September 1442) was a Baron in the Peerage of England, Lord of Morley, Hingham, Hockering in Norfolk. He was the son of Thomas de Morley, 5th Baron Morley and Lady Isabel de la Pole. He married prior to May, 1442, Elizabeth, daughter of William de Ros, 6th Baron de Ros, and died at age 23 without male issue. At his death in 1443, the barony was inherited by his daughter Alianore de Morley. She became the wife of Sir William Lovel, who was summoned to parliament as Baron Morley jure uxoris and died in 1476, shortly before her. Their son became Henry Lovel, 8th Baron Morley.

48, Honingham Saint Andrew Church, there is a memorial on the south wall of the chancel to Sir Thomas Richardson, Master of Cramond, died 1642.

49, Horstead All Saints Church, there are some stained glass  memorial windows, two at Horstead, one for Admiral Sir John Corbett, died 1893. Corbett joined the Royal Navy in 1835. Promoted to Commander in 1852, he served in the Second Opium War. Following his promotion to Captain in 1857, he commanded HMS Scout, HMS Hastings, HMS Black Prince and then the training ship HMS Britannia. In 1867 he commanded HMS Warrior. He was made Commander in Chief, East Indies Station in 1877 and Commander in Chief, The Nore in 1884. He retired in 1887. In his spare time Corbett was an amateur artist who painted watercolours during his travels in the 1850s and 1860s.

50, Horstead All Saints Church, continued from above, another memorial stained glass window this time to Sir Edward Birkbeck, Bart, died 1908. Birkbeck was born in 1838 and served as Conservative MP for North Norfolk from 1879 (being returned at a by-election following the death of Colonel Duff) to 1885 and for Esat Norfolk from 1885 to 1892. He was defeated in the 1892 general election by Sir Robert Price  He was created a baronet, of Horstead Hill, in the parish of Horstead, in the County of Norfolk on 9 March 1886. The baronetage became extinct in 1908 on his death. Birkbeck resided at Horstead Hall, a mansion located in extensive and secluded grounds outside Horstead, Norfolk, remodelled in the Tudor style in 1835. He entertained Lord Salisbury there on at least one occasion (1887), and bred Jersey cattle there. Sir Edward greatly improved the farm buildings, adding, among other things, a watertower in the Italian style that remains a local landmark, cottages and one of the two lodges facing towards Buxton.

51, Houghton in the Brake Saint Martin Church, here the tower was rebuilt in 1740 by Sir Robert Walpole, 1st Earl of Orford. he died 1745. Robert Walpole, 1st earl of Orford, also called (1725–42) Sir Robert Walpole, ( born August 26th 1676, Houghton Hall, Norfolk, England—died March 18, 1745, London), British statesman (in power 1721–42), generally regarded as the first British prime minister.

52, Houghton in the Brake Saint Martin Church, there is a monument to Sir Robert Walpole, died 1737.

53, Hunstanton Old Saint Mary the Virgin, there is a very fine altar tomb with brass to Sir Roger le Strange, 1506.

54, Hunstanton Old Saint Mary the Virgin, there is a memorial to Sir Hamon le Strange, Esq who founded this church in the early part of the 14th century.

55, Illington Saint Andrew Church, here, there is an inscription to Sir John Churchman.

In consideration of his forthcoming mortgage to Susan Fiske, of her life interest in jewels, plate and household goods and in the Illington estate assigned to her jointure, reserving use of best jewel and bed and bedding and household goods in the chamber at Illington Hall

Date: 1691
56, Ketteringham Saint Peter Church, the tower fell in 1608 and was rebuilt the following year, the chancel was built in 1492 by Sir Henry Grey. Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Suffolk, 3rd Marquess of Dorset KB KG  (17 January 1517 – 23 February 1554), was an English courtier and nobleman of the Tudor period. He was the father of Lady Jane Grey, known as "the Nine Days' Queen".

57, Kimberley Saint Peter Church, there is a fine monument in the chancel to Dame Elizabeth Strutt, daughter of Sir Thomas Wodehouse and wife of Sir Denner Strutt died 1651. Sir Thomas Wodehouse, 2nd Baronet (c. 1585 – 18 March 1658), was an English baronet and MP. Wodehouse was the son of Sir Philip Wodehouse, 1st Baronet of Kimberly,  and Grizell, daughter of William Yelverton. He was MP for Thetford from 1640 to 1653 and served as High Sheriff of Norfolk in 1624. Wodehouse married Blanche, daughter of John Carey, 3rd Baron Hunsdon, on 16 Jun 1605. She died on 6 November 1651. Wodehouse survived her by seven years and died on 18 March 1658. He was succeeded in the baronetcy by his son, Philip.
58, Kimberley Saint Peter Church, Sir Denner Strutt, died 1651.

59, King's Lynn Saint Nicholas Chapel, The tower is Early English, but the spire was designed by the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A., and was erected by public subscription in 1869. Sir George Gilbert Scott RA (13 July 1811 – 27 March 1878), styled Sir Gilbert Scott, was a prolific English Gothic revival architect, chiefly associated with the design, building and renovation of churches and cathedrals, although he started his career as a leading designer of workhouses. Over 800 buildings were designed or altered by him. Scott was the architect of many iconic buildings, including the Midland Grand Hotel at St Pancras Station, the Albert Memorial, and the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, all in London, St Mary's Cathedral, Glasgow, the main building of the University of Glasgow, St Mary's Cathedral in Edinburgh and King's College London Chapel.

60, King's Lynn Saint Nicholas Chapel, there is a fine memorial to Sir Benjamin Keene, Ambassador to Spain, he died at Madrid in 1757, but his remains were brought here and interred. Sir Benjamin Keene, KB, (b1697, King's Lynn, Norfolk, England – d1757, Madrid) was a British diplomat known for his service as British Ambassador to Spain. He strove to maintain good relations between the two countries, but was unable to prevent the War of Jenkins' Ear breaking out in 1739. He later successfully kept Spain neutral when the Seven Years' War broke out in 1756. At the height of his powers he wielded wide influence over events in Spain, and was in the confidence of leading Spanish statesmen.

61, Kirby Cane All Saints Church, there is a tablet that records that the vestry was built by Sir Charles Turner, Bart., in 1753.

62, Langford Saint Andrew Church, there is a monument to Sir Jacob Garrard, Alderman and Sheriff of London, dated 1666.

63, Langford Saint Andrew Church, heres a memorial to Sir James Murray-Pulteney, died 1811.

64, Loddon The Holt Trinity Church, there is a curious framed painting in the south aisle, representing Sir James Hobart and his wife kneeling with views of Loddon Bridge and Saint Olave's Bridge and stating underneath that he built the church and she the bridge. The picture dates from 1496. There are other noted sites there too: a brass in the chancel to Sir James Hobart died 1615 and to Francis his wife died 1669.

65, West Lynn Saint Peter Church, there is a brass with figure of Sir Adam Outlaw, died 1503, The story of how/when/why Adam Outlawe  came to be known as "Sir Adam or "Lord Adam" would add a great deal to our understanding of the Utlagh story.  Twenty years before the reformation and thirty years before the beginning of the suppression. In 1472 he is referred only as a "chaplain" and continues in 1481, by 1501, near the time of his death he is referred to as "Sir Adam". So between 1481 and 1500 something happened. He refers to "Thomas of Acre and Muriel his wife, were the founders of this chantry" and to benefactors, namely: Robert Malle and Agnes his wife.

66, Massingham Little Saint Andrew Church, there is a monument to Sir Charles Mordaunt, Bart.,

67, Melton Constable Saint Peter Church, the south transept or chapel was built by Sir Jacob Astley in 1681, it has a family vault beneath.

68, Methwold Saint George Church, there is a brass to Sir Adam de Clifton dated 1367.

69, Morningthorpe Saint John the Baptist Church, There is a monument to Sir William Gostlin Aldermen and Sheriff of the City of London, and his wife dated 1723.

70, Mulbarton Saint Mary Magdelan Church, this church was built by Sir William the Hoo, a great soldier who died 1410.

71, Ormesby Great Saint Michaels Church, there are brasses and memorials to the Clere family, including one to Sir Robert Clere, died 1529 and Lady Alice Clere, died 1538, She was an aunt of Queen Anne Boleyn.

72, Overstrand Saint Martin Church, Sir T.F. Buxton and Lady Buxton lie buried in this church.

73, Pickenham South All Saints Church, Sir Henry Hobart was interred in (1638) in what is now the ruined north chapel.

74, Plumstead Little SS Protase and Gervase Church, there is a fine brass in the chancel to Sir Edward Warner, died 1565.

75, Quidenham Saint Andrew Church, there is a memorial to Lady Sophia (Keppel), eldest daughter of William Charles, 4th Earl of Albemarle, and wife of Sir James MacDonald, Bart, died 1851.

76, Rackheath Great All Saints Church, several of the windows were filled with stained glass in 1857, at the expense of Sir Henry Josias Stracey, Bart.

77, Raynham East Saint Marys Church, there is a memorial to Sir Roger Townshend, Justice of the Court of Commons Pleas, died 1493.

78, Reepham Saint Mary the Virgin Church, there is a good brass in the chancel to Sir William de Kerdiston, died 1391,

79, Reepham Saint Mary the Virgin Church, There is a fine altar tomb on the north side of the chancel with effigy and other figures to Sir Roger de Kerdiston, died 1337.

80, Reepham Saint Mary the Virgin Church, there is a 19th century memorial to the Rev. Sir Edward Repps Jodrell, Bart, died 1882.

81, Riddlesworth Saint Peter Church, there is a very fine monument with effigy in armour and two angels kneeling under a canopy to Sir Drue Drury.

82, Ryston Saint Michaels Church, a white marble, with effigy, to the wife of Sir Roger Pratt, died 1684.

83, Shelton Saint Marys Church, the nave was erected in 1480 by Sir Ralph Shelton.

84, Shelton Saint Mary's Church, there is near the east end of the south aisle, an altar tomb, with effigies to Sir Robert Houghton, his son and two wives. It is undated.

85, Shernbourne SS. Peter and Paul Church, this church was rebuilt in 1898, under the supervision of Sir Arthur Blomefield and Mr H.J. Green of Norwich.

86, Shernborne SS. Peter and Paul Church, there is a slab and brass to Sir Thomas and Lady Shernborne.

87, Shouldham All Saints Church, the chancel was rebuilt in 1870, when the other parts of the church were restored at the soul expense of the late Sir Thomas Hare, Bart.

88, Sidestrand Saint Michael Church. this church was entirely rebuilt in 1881, on a new site, by the late Sir Samuel Hoare, first Baronet, who died in 1915. Most materials were taken from the old church on the edge of a cliff.

89, Snettisham Saint Marys Church, there is a monument with effigy to Sir Wymond Carye, died 1610 and his wife and family.

90, Snoring Great Saint Mary the Virgin Church, there are remains of brasses in the chancel to Sir Ralph Shelton and family who built the Tudor rectory close by, which has some fine brickwork of that period.

91, Sprowston SS. Mary and Margaret Church, there is a monument to Sir Thomas Adams, Bart., Lord Mayor of London in 1645, who died in 1667.

92, Stow Bardolph The Holy Trinity Church, the side chapel in Tudor style was re-roofed by Sir John Hare in 1624.

93, Stow Bardolph The Holy Trinity Church, there is a fine altar tomb with effigy to Sir Thomas Hare, died 1693.

94, Tharston Saint Mary the Virgin Church, there is a fine monument in the chancel, with figures of soldiers, to General Sir Robert John Harvey, died 1860. Sir Robert John Harvey Harvey, 1st Baronet (16 April 1817 – 19 July 1870) was a British Conservative Party politician. He sat in the House of Commons from 1865 to 1868. Harvey was the eldest son of General Sir Robert John Harvey of Mousehold House in Norwich. He was elected at the of Thetford  1865 General Election as a MP for the borough of Thetford having unsuccessfully contested the seat at a by-election in April 1863. The borough was disenfranchised at the 1868 General Election, and Harvey did not stand for Parliament again. The latter year he was created a Baronet, of Crown Point in the parish of Trowse in the County of Norfolk. Harvey married Lady Henrietta Augusta Lambart, daughter of George Frederick Augustus Lambart, Viscount Kilcoursie, in 1845. He shot himself in July 1870, aged 53, after the collapse of the Crown Bank, and is buried in a large mausoleum in the graveyard at Kirby Bedon, Norfolk. He was succeeded in the title by his son Charles. His grandson Oliver Harvey became British Ambassador to France and was created Baron Harvey of Tasburgh in 1954. Lady Harvey died in 1874.

95, Thetford Saint Mary Church, this church contains the tomb of Sir Richard Fulmerstone, a great benefactor to the town and founder of the Grammar School.

96, Tittleshall cum Godwick Saint Marys Church, in the chancel full of magnificent monuments to the Coke family. one is of black and white marble with recumbent effigy, to Sir Edward Coke, lord Chief justice of the King's Bench, died 1634.

97, Tittleshall cum Godwick Saint Marys Church, there is a monument to Sir Thomas Coke of Holkham, first Earl of Leicester, died 1759 and to his only son, Edward, Viscount Coke died 1753.

98, Tofts West Saint Marys Church, there are some fine monuments in the south transept including one to Sir Richard and Lady Sutton.

99, Tofts West Saint Marys Church, here is a brass to Lady Arthur Hill, sister of Sir John Sutton.

100, Tuddenham East All Saints Church, there is a monument with an effigy of a knight, which is supposed to represent Sir Edmund de Berry.

101, Walsham North Saint Nicholas Church, on the north side of the chancel is a fine monument with effigy to Sir William Paston, died 1608.

102, Walsingham Saint Mary and All Saints Church, there is a fine monument in the north transept to Sir Henry Sidney and his lady, dated 1612.

103, Walton East Saint Marys Church, The communion plate was given to the church in 1681 by Sir William Barkham.

104, Wickhampton Saint Andrews Church, here is a very fine altar tomb with effigies to Sir William Gerbrygge and his lady, he is supposed  to be the founder of the church in 1272.

105, Wiggenhall St Mary the Virgin Church, an altar tomb, with effigies of Sir Henry Kervile in armour, his lady and two children.

106, Winch East All Saints Church, there is a brass tablet on the east wall of the organ recording the burial of Sir William Howard, Chief Justice of the Common Pleas, died 1309 and ten of his descendants up to 1450.

107, Winch East All Saints Church, there is a handsome modern hammer-beam roof to the nave, designed by the late Sir Gilbert Scott.

108, Woodbastwick SS. Fabian and Sebastian Church, restored and renovated in 1879 by A. Cator, Esq., under the direction of Sir G. Gilbert Scott, R.A.

109, Wood Rising Saint Nicholas Church, on the north side of the chancel is a memorial with full-sized figure of a knight in armour,
it is supposed to represent Sir Robert Southwell. When he was four years old, Southwell succeeded to extensive properties in Norfolk.
He was allied to many Norfolk gentry families, and was brought up under Thomas Howard, Duke of Norfolk, an overseer of his father’s will.
 As a youth he travelled in Italy, on his return apparently transferring his allegiance from the Norfolk section of the Howard. family to
the politically more reputable Effingham branch, marrying Elizabeth Howard, and spending part of his time in Surrey: at least three of his
eight children were baptized at Reigate, and he was returned to Parliament for Guildford through the influence of his father-in-law, Charles
Howard. Southwell’s name is recorded only once in the journals of the 1597 Parliament, for a committee concerned with armour and weapons, 8 Nov.
Southwell fought against the Armada, and eight years later distinguished himself at Cadiz.In Norfolk he was active in county administration, and
in 1588 he was listed as a knight of ‘great possessions’ able to sustain a peerage. He died 12 Oct. 1598 and was buried in the following month at
Wood Rising. By his will, dated 2 Oct. 1598, he divided his lands into three parts: one-third to his son Thomas; one-third to his wife; and the
remainder to her for the advancement of his daughters. The will was proved by the widow, who in 1604 married Sir John Stewart, Earl of Carrick.
Southwell’s surviving son, Thomas, aged two at his father’s death, sold Wood Rising.

110, Wood Rising Saint Nicholas Church, there is a memorial slab to Sir Francis Crane, Ambassador to France in the time of King Charles I. (He revived the art of tapestry in this country, establishing a factory at Mortlake, near London. In April 1606 he had a grant for life of the office of Clerk of the Parliaments, was secretary to Charles I when the latter was Prince of Wales. During his secretaryship he was knighted at Coventry on 4 September 1617. The tapestry works at Mortlake almost ruined Crane, as it involved him in considerable outlay of capital for an inadequate return, and in 1623 he was forced to appeal to the King, James I for financial help. James I died in 1625 and Crane was given much more favourable terms by the new King, Charles I, whose secretary he had been since 1617. He sat in the Parliaments of 1614 and 1621 as MP for Penryn and that of 1624 for Launceston. In 1629 the King gave him the Manor of Stoke Bruerne in Northamptonshire, where he built Stoke Park, a fine Palladian house, possibly with assistance from Inigo Jones. He was also appointed c. 1632 the Chancellor of the Order of the Garter. He died in Paris in 1636 after an operation for bladder stones and was buried at Woodrising in Norfolk.

111, Wootton South Saint Mary Church, in the north-east corner of the chancel is an altar tomb to Sir James Thomas Winde, who died in 1603.

112, Gissing, Saint Marys Church, Sir Robert Kemp, 1710, (monument by by Edward Stanton) Kemp’s ancestors acquired Gissing by marriage in 1324 and sat for Castle Rising and Eye in the reign of Elizabeth. His father, a courtier, raised a troop of horse for the King in 1642 and was rewarded with a baronetcy, but he fled abroad without taking any part in the Civil War, and his estate, valued at £1,200 p.a., was discharged from sequestration in 1644. He advanced £100 and three horses worth £30 to Parliament in 1646; but after the Restoration Kemp applied for the advowson of Gissing on the plea that his father had been ‘plundered and sequestered in the service of the late King’.

113, Sculthorpe Saint Mary and All Saints Church, The church was rebuilt by Sir Robert Knollys, who fought in the Hundred Years War, and the chancel was made new in memory of the son of one of Wellington's men. Knollys was one of the greatest captains of his age. We find him riding through the pages of Froissart in a fight which has found its way into ballads as the Combat of the Thirty, thirty picked champions fighting on each side with swords, axes and daggers. It was a brutal age, and all were killed or wounded, Knollys was among those who were nursed back to life, and after fought for 30 more years.

This 1813 print of an 1812 etching by Charles Alfred Stonhard shows the unusual monument to Sir Oliver Ingham in Ingham Church. Ingham is
shown on a bed of rocks, his body twisted and arm reaching for his sword, purportedly to fight off the Devil.
Knights and Knights Templar of Norfolk.
 
Some of the things that can be seen on this site are:
Aisle, Flint, Font, Gallery, Altar, Flying Buttress, Gargoyle, Annunciation, Galilee Porches, Antiphonal, Lectern,Gothic, Grotesque, Apse, Gnomon, Hatchments, IHS, Ambulatory, Glossary, ruined churches, seven sacrament fonts, stained coloured windows, churches of Norfolk, A-Z meaning of church list, religious or pilgrim badges, carvings, naves, alters, graffiti, door knobs, Roman, Saxon, videos.


[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]