[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,

Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS.



Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS, Now Saint Andrews, this church was formerly Saint Andrews and Saint Mary's church. The village has been known as Bishops Langham since the 12th century when it became part of the Bishops estates. The site of the Bishops Hall can be seen on the right hand side of the Field Dalling road by the stream. In 1538 it was exchanged for the Abbey of Saint Benet which still belongs to the Bishops of Norwich. St Benet's Abbey was a medieval monastery of the Order of Saint Benedict, also known as St Benet's at Holme or Hulme. It was situated on the River Bure within the Broads. St Benet is a medieval English version of the name of St Benedict of Nursia, hailed as the founder of western monasticism. At the period of the Dissolution of the Monastries the abbey's possessions were in effect seized by the crown and assigned to the diocese of Norwich. Though the monastery was supposed to continue as a community, within a few years at least the monks had dispersed. Today there remain only ruins. The font of the church is mainly 13th century, maybe from an earlier building, it is hexagonal and stands on six Purbeck marble shafts, The bowl is earlier, its inscribed, "Alice Nottleton baptised 14th day of April 1602. the arcade is the earliest part of the church. Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, near Blakeney, square west tower with staircase turret running up above the battlements on the south side (this is unusual for Norfolk), a clock, 3 bells, nave with south aisle, chancel, and north and south porches, the latter being a vestry. the style is mainly transitional Decorated and Perpendicular. There are brasses to John Andrews and Robert Barnard, 1605. There are memorials to the Frost and Rippengall families, and to John Palgrave, 1610. Also to Captain Frederick Marryat, R.N. C.B. F.R.S., the celebrated novelist who resided and died here in 1848. The font is late Norman.

Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,
Langham Episcopi, Saint Andrew Church, NR25-7BS,