[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA


Ludham Saint Catherine Church, what an impressive church for such a small village, this must have been much more important in years gone by. (The third-century martyr Saint Appolonia, who was burned alive after having her teeth ripped out. There are 52 known images of her in various English churches that survived the ravages of the 16th century Comissioners. These are concentrated in Devon and East Anglia, Barton Turf, Docking, Horsham Saint Faith, Ludham, Sandringham and one Norwich over the Water disused church). Near Potter Heigham, square wet tower, a clock and 5 bells, nave with aisles, some graffetti on the aisle arches, chancel and north and south porches. The chancel is Decorated, the rest early Perpendicular. There is a good rood screen with paintings, dated 1493, and the top of the chancel arch is filled in with boards upon which the Crucifixion is painted. On the reverse side facing the chancel, is painted the Royal Arms of Queen Elizabeth. These boards were found in the rood loft staircase during a restoration, and placed in their original position. There is a good carved font. In the church chest is preserved a black letter Bible of the time of James I. The nave roof is of hammer-beam type. There are brasses to Grace Whitey, dated 1611, and tablets to the Beecroft, Brown, Horsley, Johnson and Rust families. This fine church has a plain 14th century tower with a niche below window, 15th century porches, the south with a parvise over, and the north plainly flush panelled with a niche above arch and inside a plain 13th century doorway. Inside the appearance is fine, with 15th century arcades and six great three light clerestory windows, terminated by a chancel arch with carved caps supporting a coloured rood beam with a tympanic filling. This is painted as previously mentioned. The arch braced roof is also  very fine, with pierced and traceried spandrils, many of them with the wheel of the patron (Catherine) They also have long wall posts between them. There is a good East Anglian style font, only unusual for having a double corona. A 15th century iron bound poor man's box, a squint from the south aisle and a curious hand projecting from the south wall. It is said to be for holding a taper, but it has a vertical hole through it. Cautley thought it a pin supporting the Lenten veil. The church of Saint Catherine, like many others, has planted a yew tree taken from one of 32 trees believed to have been living at the same time of Christ. The tree is a witness to our pasts and our hopes for the third Christian millennium. A commitment to our faith and the envoronment in the preservation of the world created by God. The yews in Dyfed, Wales, allegedly bleed a red substance every year in sympathy with Christ, while branches of yew stood in for palm leaves on Palm Sunday. In some parishes, villagers would see in the New Year by gathering under the branches of the churchyard yew.

Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA
Ludham Saint Catherine Church NR29 5QA