[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Mileham, John the Baptist Church.




Mileham, John the Baptist Church. Mileham or Meleham meaning homestead with a mill, mylen (mill) + ham (homestead). There has been a church on this site in Saxon times, The Bishop of Elmham Stigand was Lord then, the year 1043 he then became the Archbishop of Canterbury in 1066 when his manor was taken over by the Normans. The church is famous for its west window, which has the beautiful double reticulated tracery of the Decorated Period, it has much of its original glass and dates around 1340. The font is octagonal as with many on Norfolk. It has quatrefoils on seven out of eight sides and was originally carved to stand be something, it is plain on the 8th side. The previous bowl was found in nearby Burwood Hall garden and returned back to the church. The church has a large upright alms box. It is made of solid oak wood and because of its size possibly made for smaller hammered coins of the day. Mileham, John the Baptist Church. square tower containing a clock and 5 bells at the west end of the north aisle, nave with aisles and chancel. The style is mainly Decorated with some Perpendicular windows inserted. There are monuments to Strange, Barnwell and Davy families dating from the commencement of the 18th century. There is a brass to the Crow family dated 1526, and cast lead tablet of the 17th century to Elizabeth Shipman. There is some ancient stained glass.

Mileham, John the Baptist Church.