[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Morton on the Hill Saint Margaret Church NR9 5JS



Morton on the Hill Saint Margaret Church, near Reepham, round west tower with octagonal top storey, 3 bells, nave, chancel and south porch. The base of the tower is Norman. The chancel and nave are continuous under one roof, the former being 13th century and the latter somewhat later. The porch is Perpendicular. The walls to this church are very low, with widely projecting caves to the roof. The tower had inside what looks like a blocked up pre-Conquest window, so it may be of this date. There is a traceried south door, simple old bench ends with poppy headsand Stuart rails and the base of an old screen, uncoloured, is placed on either side of sacrarium walls. There is a simple font with panelled bowl and shaft. The round tower collapsed in 1959. Its unmoulded tower arch without any imposts remains. The circular window which established an Anglo-Saxon date has of coarse disappeared. Early also the nave north west quoin. Chancel of 1300th century, or thereabouts. Two-bay north arcade with octagonal pier and coarse mouldings, screen parts used as chancel panelling. Traceried south door, and Communion rail, Jacobean, with vertically symmetrical balusters. There iis a monument to Thomas Southwell died 1609, a tomb chest with three shields in simple strapwork surround. Four centred arch on pilasters. uncared for, becoming overgrown with ivy and brambles until the late 70s when Lady Prince Smith, owner of Morton Hall, with the help and encouragement of the Norfolk Churches Trust,

NCT, Morton Hall was the home to the recusant family of Southwell in the 16th and 17th centuries.   The most famous was Robert Southwell who died a martyr. He was a Jesuit and was hung, drawn and quartered. He was subsequently canonised by Pope Paul VI. Katherine Audley, Robert Southwell’s Aunt, lies in the middle of the church with her shining brass effigy. This brass was stolen while the church was in ruins and was handed back to Lady Prince Smith after the restoration. Another brass, however, is still missing.

Morton on the Hill Saint Margaret Church NR9 5JS