Norwich Saint Andrew Church.

Saint Andrews Church Norwich City, at 2am on January 1st 1845, had its lead rolled off its roofs not this time by thieves, but by perilous storms, the rolled up lead was blown by the wind a considerable distance. The Norfolk Chronicle added the lead weighed 456lb and broke down the wall for between 10 and 12 yards on the south side of the church. On the same day Mulbarton Church was also damaged. Mr Dennis King discussed with his brother Eric panels which came from The Deanery in the Close, and now form part of the glazing of St. Andrew’s Chapel, Norwich. The 16th century heraldic glass is now rearranged and releaded, and dated 9th June 1961. Saint Andrews Church Norwich City, In Saint Andrew's Street, to the north of the Bridewell, Square west tower, a clock and 10 bells, nave with aisles, chancel. The westernmost bays of the aisles form north and south porches. This is the second largest church in Norwich, and is late Perpendicular in style, verging on the Tudor period. The tower was rebuilt in 1778, and the remainder in 1506. There is a very fine monument at the east end of the north aisle, formerly the Lady Chapel, to Sir John Suckling and his lady, the parents of Sir John Suckling the poet. There are a number of memorials, including brasses to former Mayors and other city nobility. There is some ancient stained glass. There is some excellent church plate, including two fine flagons, weighing nearly sixty ounces apiece, which were given by Lawrence Goodwin, Esq., in 1704. west tower, south and west porches, nave, north and south aisles and chancel. The tower built in 1478, and 96ft. high, was built prior to the rest of the church, as is evidenced by the flush panelling inside the porches. It has a good west door with a band of tracery above with the cross of Saint Andrew and Marie's. The tower has sound holes, a modern parapet and the butresses are flush panelled. The rest of the church was built at the beginning of the 16th century. The porches are at the extreme west end of the aisles and both have parvises and central stooled and canopied niches with windows each side. The nave has lofty four centred arcades, with blank tracery above, and a great range of three-light clerestory windows whichhave little buttresses outside. The roof is a cambered tie-beam. There is a little good 15th century glass and sword and mace rests.

Saint Andrews Church Norwich City

Hit HOME to take you back to the "A-Z list of Churches in Norfolk by the Old Boi Page."