[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland

Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland


Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland, including former parishes of Saint Peter Hungate Church, Saint Simon and Saint Jude Church, Saint Martin at Palace Church and Saint Michael at Plea Church, now (Revelations Book Store and Cafe)
Why Tombland? Tombland is nothing to do with the many churches of the area, but as Old English for "Tom" meaning empty space. Tombland in Saxon times was the heart of the City. The furnishings that are there in Saint George are mainly from the restorations of 1879-1886. The chancel is dominated by a very fine reredos, its date around 1730. The pews are low back benches, and the pulpit 17th century and once a three decker, but lowered and moved back. The font is capped by a cover, a peak of which is George and the Dragon. Saint George's is one of two churches in the City of Norwich with this dedication: the other being Saint George Colgate, Saint George is important in the history of Norwich: he is the patron saint of the City itself, and there is also a guild of Saint George which is important to the Cities government.
Norwich Saint George Church, There is a monument to Alderman Anguish, sculptured by London man Nicholas Stone in 1617, and another by Reeves and Son from Bath for Susan Willet dated 1829. William Clarke 1752 is another memorial, this by J. Ivory.
The built-up churchyard of St. George's in Tombland in Norwich is estimated to hold up to 10,000 dead bodies.

Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland, Postcode.                                         Pictures show dismantling of the font cover.
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland
Norwich Saint George Church, Tombland