[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Norwich Saint Margaret Church




Norwich Saint Margaret Church, Norwich or Norvic, northern dwelling or dairy farm. Old English north + wic (dairy farm). west tower, north and south porches, nave, south aisle, chancel and south chancel aisle. There are sound holes in the tower, and the south porch has spandrils carved with Saint Margaret, two bands of tracery above and stooled and canopied niche flanked by windows to parvise. there is a very fine 15th century door with traceried front, and a nice 14th century font with traceried bowl and engaged columns to shaft on very high traceried step. Under the tower are the old altar rails dated 1707. The walls of aisle are arcaded and there are Royal Arms, but too dark to make out. Between Saint Benedicts and Westwick Streets, square tower, 5 bells, mainly in the Perpendicular style with some earlier work incorporated. There is a brass to Lady Anne Rede, died 1567. There are monuments to City worthies in the side chapel. The carved font is of interest, also the old parish chest. There are arched openings in the nave walls leading respectively into the eastern chapel and aisle. There is a small pedestal to the south of the altar on which the bell rung at Mass formerly stood. There is a monument by the sculptor J. Watson, to Martha Elwin, 1848.

Norwich Saint Margaret Church.