[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Norwich Saint Stephen Church



Norwich Saint Stephen Church, square north west tower, 3 bells, nave with aisles, north transept or chantry chapel, and chancel. The aisles and base of the tower, which forms the north porch, date from 1350. The rest of the church was gradually rebuilt during the whole of the Perpendicular period and was not finally completed until 1550. The date 1601 on the tower is very misleading, being only the date of restoration. There are numerous brasses and monuments to City worthies including several Mayors and Sheriffs. In fact over six hundred persons are said to have been buried under this church. Of special note is the brass in the chancel with effigy of Dr Thomas Cappe, Vicar 1520-1545, robed in cassock, alb, amice and cope. He rebuilt the chancel, began the roof-which is an excellent example of hammer-beam style-and put up the east window which has ancient stained glass dating from the 15th/16th/ and 17th century. There is fan vaulting to the north transept chapel and vaulting to the porch under the tower. There are registers from 1538, A complete churchwarden's accounts from 1567. Objects, twelve vestments are adorned with gold starts, either on fabric ot orphrey. Here at Saint Stephen, was a black vest ment with white stars, with white stars on a green ground. Stars and crescents combined occur also, as do gold crowns, crowns and stars, gold crowns and gold stars. Other objects used for ornamentation are lily-pots, white Catherine Wheels with lilies and birds, and gold castles. The boss inside the porch represents the stoning of Saint Stephen. There is a coloured alabaster depicting nine saints, several brasses and four stalls.

Norwich Saint Stephen Church