[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Paston Saint Margaret Church NR28 9AT




Paston Saint Margaret Church, square west tower, 5/6 bells, 5 of which are dated 1623, nave chancel and south porch. The style is mainly Decorated. The nave roof is thatched and is 29' 6" wide and is spanned by a single-framed scissor roof! . the 14th/15th century rood screen has some good carvery tracery. Some good wall paintings have been fairly well uncovered and feature among the Sain Christopher. The font is 14th century with traceried bowl and shaft on two steps, there is also a 14th century bound chest or "hutch" with hidious modern locks and a Stuart table. The chancel has a triple sedilia, blocked by a table monument, and a 13th century piscina with pillar for drain. There is an interesting collection of old books including the paraphrses of erasamus, homlies and a leaf of pre-reformation servive book with plain song. There are some fine monuments in the chancel to the Paston family. There are two carparks to this church, both accessible from the same road, disabled can gain access through the gates. The present beautifully proportioned 14th century church of Saint Margaret is not the original church of Paston, In the 12th century Bartholomew de Grnville, son of the founder of Bromholm Priory, left by will the church of Paston and its "appurtenances" with lands and woods there to the monks. the present church has been restored, notably in 1601, 1843, and 1869. only the niche of the Holy Water Stoup remains; it is inside the church, near the south door.


Paston Saint Margaret Church NR28 9AT