[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]

Quidenham, Saint Andrew's Church.



Quidenham Saint Andrews Church, near East Harling, round west tower with octagonal upper storey and lofty spire above, a clock and 8 bells, nave with south aisle and north transept, chancel and south porch. The base of the tower and south doorway are Norman, the rest is mainly Decorated. There is slight evidence of Saxon work in the chancel. There is a memorial to Lady Sophia Keppel, eldest daughter of William Charles, 4th Earl of Albemarle, and wife of Sir James Macdonald, Bart., died 1824. There is a mural monument in the chancel to Sir John Holland, died 1700. There is a memorial window to Augustus Frederick, 5th Earl of Albemarle, died 1851. Also to other members of the Keppel family. This church has been well restored. On the banks of the River Whittle, lies a church that has been there some 1000 years. there is proof that religious worship of one kind existed before what is now Saint Andrew's Church. Once called Girdlenham, or King's Land. The present church dates from the 14th/15th centuries. The church has a "Poor Box" dating from 1639, Quidenham is classed as a round tower, it is actually octagonal on top and dating from 950-1050AD, the rest of the body of the church is Perpendicular, it is one of 6 churches classed as the Quidenham Group of Parishes, Wilby, Eccles, Old Buckenham, New Buckenham and Banham the others. Inside is a drawing of how the church look previously, the spire which tops the tower was much shorter than that of the one today. Quidenham was a MU church and Mother's Union was very active in the village. There is not one today! Home to the Earls of Albemarie; but it lives in legend or in history for something older than any earldom in the world. On the edge of the Park the shingled spire of the little church looks across the road to a mound crowned by a group of firs by the River Wittle. Under this mound is said to sleep that first known woman in our island story, Boadicca. We do not know, but she is supposed to have had a palace at Kenninghall, the village reached by a beautiful mile long avenue of fine trees, and it is thrilling to feel that we may here be in the presence of all that remains of this heroic woman in our race. Inside the church, the plain arch opening into the nave, the north wall of the nave itself and the doorway which leads us in, are Norman, Over the 13th century south doorway, on which are heads of a woman and an anxious looking man, is a medieval porch with a charming sundial on which are six small carved figures of bishops and quaint hooden men. Under the tower arch is a Tudor screen, and there are medieval stone seats, an ancient aumbry and piscina, an old font, and some thing far older than all this set into the wall-relics of three Saxon pillars, (last image) each about three feet high with scroll capitals. They may be part of a font at which were christened children only a few lives removed from Queen Boudicca herself. There are memorials to a Dutch family here in Tudor days, to Admiral Keppal commanding at Sebastopol, and to another Keppel who fell in Flanders while still in his teens, leading his company with great gallantry and devotion. The memorial has a battered tin helmet, that he was wearing when he fell. A brass tablet tells of six men who did not come back to this village, and in the churchyard is a white cross and a Flanders cross to Derek Stephenson, who won the DSO and the MC before he fell commanding a battery near Saint Quentin.

Quidenham Saint Andrews Church. Postcode:NR16 2BY
Quidenham Saint Andrews Church
Quidenham Saint Andrews Church
Quidenham Saint Andrews Church