[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary



Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Redenhall or Redanahalla, meaning possibly reedy nook. Probably the first element is Old English hreoden (reedy). The second element is Old English halth (nook, corner of land). has a magnificent brass lectern, that dates from around 1500 and is a rare and beautiful treasure. There are about ten medieval lecterns  (of wood and metal) in the whole of Norfolk and Redenhall has two (The number of metal lecterns nationwide is just over 40 and about 320 wooden ones) This splendid piece of medieval metal work is unique in great Britain because the Eagle has two heads. Their beaks are open  and there is a filled-in slot at the end of the bird's tail, indicating that alms and donations could be placed in it. There are also three lions at the base. the rood screen, it was a Mr Holmes who bequeathed money for W.J. Wilsdon's handsome rood screen beneath the chancel arch, made of oak grown on the Gawdy Hall Estate and carved by Gowers and Borretts of Wortwell. It incorporates the painted panels of apostles with their emblems from the 15th century screen, although these have since been 'Touched Up' with later paintwork. Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary square west tower, 8 bells, nave with aisles, chancel with side chapel and north porch with parvis. The chancel which has a bier incorporated for funeral purposes, please God use one of these for me, was erected in the 14th century. The rest of the church is Perpendicular, the tower having been commenced in 1460. It has octagonal buttresses and pinnacles and much beautiful flush work, as has also the north porch. There is a fine monument in the north chapel to John Wogan, died 1778 and his wife Elizabeth 1788, by sculptor L. Moore from London. There are also memorials to the Kerrich, Penrice, Smith, Frere and other families. There is some ancient stained glass in the windows and a beautiful hammer-beam style roof. The Kerrich memorials were for Simon 1748 and John Kerrich by sculptor T. Singleton of (Bury) The Singletons also carried on business in Norwich, in partnership with Bottomley. Mr Edmund Esdaile mentions a C. Bottomley who was working at Cambridge who may have been a relation carrying on a branch of the same business. R. Singleton sighned monuments here at Redenhall and Hockwold too, and a Norwich mason of the same name, who has a monument in Saint Gregory's Church, Norwich signs "de Norvic" This R. Singleton took up his freedom as a mason on 24th, May, 1716 by purchase. Redenhall is an imposing building with a fine tower and famous peal of bells. Inside there is a fine brass eagle lectern and a wooden one as well, a screen with the twelve Apostles and a chapel with monuments of the ancient family of Gawdy with heraldic glass, moved from Gawdy Hall, a moated house near by.

Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Postcode:
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Redenhall Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary