[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Roughton, Saint Mary Church, NR11-8SZ.


Roughton near Cromer, a Round west tower church, 3 bells, nave with aisles, chancel and north and south porches. The tower is Saxon, see the herringbone base stones. But somewhat later above. The rest of the church is mainly Decorated, but incorporates some early work. There are memorials to the Flaxham family from 1760, and one to the Hogan family dated 1727. Down a short bumpy lane that needs dragging with a tractor and harrow, this church that Mortlock describes as standing on exposed on a ridge above the main road. The Anglo-Saxon tower is an interesting example, it has a lot of red Norfolk carrstone laid herringbone fashion and triangular heads to the belfry windows. The clerestory range is nice, with interior shafts rising from bases which have carved heads. There is a north chapel-the arches can be seen outside in the chancel wall, and a plain square headed piscina has been reset below them. The font is not the usual East Anglian type and a number of churches in this area were obviously supplied from the same source: it has eight attached shafts with tracery between and around the bowl, and dates from the late 14th century.