[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Ruined churches of Norfolk.
Information mentioned in Blomfields History, Claude J.W. Messent A.R.I.B.A. and through own local knowledge and research. This will be updated as and when visited. More information on each to be added too!
Alethorpe, All Saints, 1.5 miles north east of Fakenham, completely disappeared. in full use in 1419, left to decay.

Algarsthorpe, Saint Mary, now part of Great Melton, north of the main road from Norwich-Hingham and Watton, now completely disappeared, when foundations at Chapel Farm were dug, a number of skulls were unearthed.

Alpington, unknown, 4.5 miles south east of Trowse, this church was desecrated centuries ago and has entirely disappeared.

Antingham, Saint Mary and Saint Margaret, 3 miles north west of North Walsham. There where once two churches here in the same graveyard, erected by two sisters, I have heard this said before of Reedham and its three churches in one yard. The latter here St Margaret's has long been a ruin.

Appleton, Saint Mary, Appleton Church has been a ruin since 1707, the nearby hall was burned down and the Paston Family that owned it moved away, though the church is now a ruin, it has not been desecrated, the churchyard is completely railed in. It is situated a short distance from Newton on the Royal Sandringham Estate.

Ashby, Saint Mary, 2 miles south-south west of Potter Heigham, now forms a parish with Oby, the site of Saint Mary cannot definitely be traced. 

Ashwell, Saint Mary, 3.5 miles south-east of Wymondham, now part of Ashwellthorpe, the site now has a farmhouse built on its foundations, but shown on older OS maps.

----------

Babingley, Saint Felix, Babingley, ruin stands on private farmland, it is approx 1500 yards from Saint Felix Chapel that is set along the King's Lynn to Hunstanton road at a place locals call "Cats Bottom". The church is in most part in ruin, it consists of a nave, small south porch, and western tower. The ruin also contains the remains of a late Norman sedilia, probably the only one left in Norfolk.

Barnham Broom, SS Peter and Paul, 5 miles north-west of Wymondham, There were originally two churches here, Saint Michaels has fallen to decay, the ruin is only a few hundred feet from the present church.

Barsham North, Saint Catherine, 4 miles north of Fakenham, known to have been in existence in 1531, all has now disappeared.

Barton Bendish, All Saints, 4 miles north of Stoke Ferry, family village of my Smith/Hudson ancestors, originally there where three churches in this small village, Saint Andrew's and Saint Mary are still standing, All Saints though has gone, once standing in the same churchyard as to one of the others, much of its building were used to repair Saint Mary's, and a greater part too, to make a road. Its bells were at the same time sold. The beautiful Norman doorway was taken from the north side and taken to Saint Marys after the latter's tower had fallen and was used to repair that. 

Barwick Magna, unknown, Also called Barwick-in-the-Brakes. 3.5 miles east of Docking. The church formerly stood in the grounds of Barwick Hall, the foundations may still be traced, showing on older O/S Maps.

Barwick Parva, unknown, a separate parish to Barwick Magna, each having churches of their own, site unknown.

Bastwick, Saint Peter, part of Repps-with Bastwick now, Bastwick used to be a church on its own, still visible today, and can be seen near cottages  near the main road from Yarmouth to Potter Heigham.

Bawburgh, Saint Walstan, 5 miles west of Norwich. A chapel to stop off as a pilgrimage to Saint Walstan, a Bawburgh born Saint. Known as the Saint with the silver shoes, Saint Walstan is said to be buried in Bawburghs surviving churchyard.

Bawsey, Saint James, Bawsey, close to Mintlyn, close to King's Lynn, and Castle Rising too, thought to be one of a few churches that could have stood on the horizon over looked by the King's Lynn to Hunstanton road.Saint James has been in ruin since 1773, this ruin consists of a nave, chancel and tower, it is mainly Norman, but also has some Saxon details that prove it is of pre-Conquest origin.

Bayfield, Saint Margaret, Bayfield now forms part of Glandford, The church of Saint Margaret in in Hall grounds, it still remains as well maintained ruins, though there is a large cedar tree now at its middle.

Beachamwell, All Saints, Another ruined church in an area where there are countless churches, one at nearby Shingham, others included three churches at Barton Bendish, Beachamwell, Saint John's is said to be reached down a trackway for half a mile. Beachamwell also has yet another ruined church, this in the opposite direction and dedicated to Saint John all are consolidated with Saint Mary's and the adjoining parish of Shingham, (not a ruin).
 
Beckham East, Saint Helen, 5 miles east of Holt. Gradually falling into ruins from 1690-1890 and at the latter date was dismantled and taken down, it's materials were used at nearby West Beckham.

Beckham West All Saints, 4 miles east of Holt, The church of All Saints had become in a very bad state of repair, and was taken down in 1890, the new church was built with both East Beckham and West Beckham's material going into it.

Bedingham, Saint Mary, 5 miles north-west of Bungay, the church of Saint Mary stood in the same churchyard as the present church of Saint Andrew. Saint Mary's became disused around the time of The Reformation but its foundations still remain.

Beeston Saint Andrew, Saint Andrews, 3.5 miles  north-east of Norwich. The Church of Saint Andrews has now disappeared, the site marked by a thorn bush and Divine service used to be held on the spot once a year.

Bergh Apton, Saint Martin, 3.5 miles north-west of Loddon. This village originally consisted of two parishes, Apton and Apton Burgh.

Berking, unknown, Berking was a hamlet of Emneth, It had a parochial chapel standing in 1389, this appears to have been disused before the Reformation. The Position of its site is uncertain.

Billockby, All Saints, 2.5 miles north-east of Acle. The church of All Saints was struck by lightning and burnt down many years ago, It's now a ruin, the chancel was restored in 1872 and fitted with 50 sittings and a small bell was placed in a turret.

Bittering Magna, unknown, 3 miles north-west of East Dereham. This church has been gone for many years, no trace now remains, though its site location is listed as the churchyard.

Bixley, St Wandegisillius, A shady land brings me to the church on the edge of a field of oaks and gives me a sight of the cathedral spire three miles away. The churchyard is brightened by clumps of gold in daffodil time, and it has a ring of firs growing taller than the tower. This written by Arthur Mee, the church, the only one in England dedicated to a saint with the odd name of St Wandegisillius. pilgrimages were made to St Wandrede of Byskely in the middle ages. The church now a ruin due to a fire that ravished the building in 2004. This named in honour of St Wandregeselius, and in Woodbastwick, on the Broads, where the church is dedicated to St Fabian and St Sebastian, early saints who share a commemoration day, and a tomb in the Roman catacombs. Wandregisilus, also known as Wandrille and Vandrille, was a French hermit and Abbot and the church at Bixley, now the subject of a planning application to convert it into a home, is thought to have once housed a relic of the saint and welcomed pilgrims.

Bixton or Bickerston, Saint Andrew, forms part of Barnham Broom, this church dedicated to Saint Andrew. Parts of its tower can be seen on the right hand side of the road leading to East Tuddenham.

Blo' Norton, Saint Andrew and Saint Margaret, 7 miles south east of East Harling. There were originally two churches there, and standing close to each other. Saint Margaret was taken down as early as 1394, Saint Andrew remained as a working church.

Bowthorpe, Saint Michael, near Earlham, the church of Saint Michael was unroofed in 1792, much of the ruined walls remain. The church has been walled in to prevent desecration.

Breccles Parva, Saint Andrew, 5 miles south-east of Watton, this church was originally built in a separate parish, it was dedicated to Saint Andrew, but long ago fell into decay, nothing remains.

Broadcar, Saint Andrew, 5 miles south-west of Attleborough, Saint Andrews church has entirely gone to decay, its benefice now part of Shropham, both this church and that of Breccles Parva, went around the same time.

Broomsthorpe, Saint John, 6 miles west of Fakenham, The church was destroyed before the reign of Queen Elizabeth and its benefice demolished, Traces of its foundation were seem, it had a Guild of Saint John.

Brundall, Saint Clements, There was originally a chapel dedicated to St Clement. It stood on the east side of Brundall's Station Lane, it was near a sand pit in a field, it consisted of two enclosures called "Upper and Lower Fields".The chapel was founded by the De Breideston family in the 12th century. The chapel is believed to have been built because of the difficultly of travelling to Braydeston Parish Church. The site believed to have been in use for centuries before the building of St Clement's Chapel. The chapel was completely demolished in 1820.

Buckenham New, Saint Mary the Virgin, The church has gone, but was turned into a barn at around the time of the Reformation.

Buckenham Old, All Saints and Saint Andrew, There were originally two churches, these dedicated to All Saints and Saint Andrew, the latter was turned into a barn, and the rectory becoming a monastic property.

Buckenham Tofts or Buckenham Parva, Saint Andrew, 6 miles north-west of Brandon, the church of Saint Andrew was desecrated centuries ago, all trace of this church has now disappeared.

Burgh Parva, Saint Mary, now combined along with Melton Constable, the church of Saint Mary had been in decay for many years. The tower, nave, chancel and some walls were still there in Messent's time.

Burgh Saint Mary, Saint Mary, now Burgh Saint Margaret, 7.5 miles north-west of Yarmouth The old church of Saint Mary with the exception of a large portion of the tower, that was standing is almost disappearing.

Burnham Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew's,  The old church has completely disappeared. It stood on the right hand side of the highway from Burnham Market to Burnham Overy, near the Old Mill.

Burnham Saint Edmund, Saint Edmund, The old church of Saint Edmund was allowed to fall into decay during the 17th century. Its site is occupied by Burnham Market Parish Room.

Burnham Sutton, Saint Ethelbert's or Saint Alberts, now forms part of Burnham Market, has its church of Saint Ethelbert's or Saint Albert's in ruins. Again near the Railway Station, both have now gone.

----------

Caister West, Saint Edmund, near Yarmouth, the church of Saint Edmunds, has been going to decay since 1608, the parish was consolidated to Caister-on-Sea. Only a portion of the tower remained, this situated in a garden.

Caldecote, Saint Mary the Virgin, 3.5 miles north-east of Stoke Ferry. Saint Mary the Virgin church has only a few remains left and is surrounded by very fine elm trees. Messent says, " From it's appearance of the site, it seems most probable that it has a pre-historic origin.

Cantley or Canteclose, All Saints, a decayed parish that form part of Hethersett near Wymondham, The church of All Saints has completely disappeared, this stood on the main road from Cringleford and Ketteringham, just opposite Cantley Farm the site marked on old O/S maps.

Carbrooke Parva, Saint John, 2 miles north east of Watton, like its sister church, a commandery of the Knight's Hospitallers. Dedicated to Saint John, it was used for parochial purposes as well.
 
Carlton East, saint Mary, 4.5 miles south-west by west from Norwich. Previously consisted of two parishes, Carlton East had two churches. Saint Mary's and Saint Peter's, the latter being dilapidated in 1550 and since has been falling into decay! This church stood only 50 yards from the existing one.

Catholm, Saint Catherine, as part of Methwold, this a church dedicated to Saint Catherine. Several stone coffins were ploughed up (White's History of Norfolk) This revealing the position of the already fallen and gone church.

Choseley, unknown, 3 miles north of Docking, the church has now gone, but was here in the time of Blomefield.

Cockley Cley, Saint Mary, Though Cockley Cley's church round tower fell, it is still a much functional church, a short walk from this was an Iceni Village, this has run down and closed to the public. Part of the tour was to what the Village said was an old chapel. It was an old cottage turned into a small museum. This building is still there, but is neither a chapel or latter.

Colveston, Saint Mary, 6 miles north of Brandon. The Saint Mary's Church has been dilapidated for years, only it's foundation was visible in the time of Messent.

Congham All Saints, All Saints, my father was born at Congham, this my connection to this small village east-north-east of King's Lynn, the old church has gone to decay.

Congham Saint Mary, Saint Mary, as previous, Saint Mary has entirely gone.

Creake North, Saint Michael on the Mount, 3 miles south of Burnham Market, an older church than the one that survives, all traces of it have disappeared.

Cressingham Great, Saint George, 5 miles west of Watton, The Chapel of Saint George stood about a mile south-east of the village, the site called "Stone Cross", the church is marked on old O/S maps.

Croxton, Saint John, part now of Fulmodeston, 5 miles east -north of Fakenham, the church was in ruins situated in trees.

Custthorpe, Saint Thomas a Becket, a hamlet of Narford, 5 miles north-west of Swaffham, Some remains of the chapel, approx 60 feet by 30 feet, still survive near South Acre.

----------

Dereham East, Saint Andrews, This church once stood in the church yard of what now is Saint Nicholas Church. It stood on the site of a miraculous spring of water, said to have healing powers.

Dereham West, Saint Peter, 4 miles south-east by east of Downham Market. Originally Dereham west having had two churches, round towered church Saint Andrew's still stands, Saint Peter ceased to be a parish in 1401. The church has long disappeared, though it's foundations may still be traced in the western part of the churchyard. In 1908 a stone coffin containing remains was found within nine inches of the top soil on the site of Saint Peters/Saint Andrew's, There are other remains in this parish of a church, but belonged to a Premonstratensian Abbey and has nothing to do with the decayed church of Saint Peter.

Dersingham, unknown, 8.5 miles from King's Lynn, A chapel stood to the south of the present church in the village, The remains were visible in Blomfields time and were in the same churchyard.

Dilham, Saint Nicholas church, was recorded in 1700 as being much dilapidated, it's buttresses decayed and the porch fallen down, In 1775 it was meanly rebuilt in red brick, but in 1931 this was demolished and the present church built. Near North Walsham, recorded as having a Round west tower, that has been twice rebuilt, its foundations Norman, and with 1 bell, a nave, rebuilt in 1775 (the east end forms the chancel and south porch.

Diss, Saint Nicholas, A parochial chapel once stood in Saint Nicholas Street, a house of Georgian date now occupies the site.

Doughton, unknown, Now known as Dunton-cum-Doughton, it was 3 miles west of Fakenham. There appears to have been a village there before The Norman Conquest, the site of it's church is unknown.

Dunham Great, Saint Andrew and Saint Mary, 6 miles north-east of Swaffham.

----------

Eastmore, Saint John the Baptist, or Saint Mary, a hamlet of Barton Bendish, it is two miles south of the village. Saint John's was a parochial chapel, it has gone to decay.

Eccles by the Sea, Saint Mary, Eccles by the Sea church has succumbed to the ravages of time, it shows on a few post cards, but alas has been a victim of the tides and beach erosion Norfolk is used to. It no longer stands. The circa 12th-century round towered church of Eccles Saint Mary next the Sea was badly damaged by storms in 1570, with the nave and chancel dismantled soon after. The parish of Eccles St Mary was combined with neighbouring Hempstead's Saint Andrew by a Deed of Union dated January 1571. The church steeple, comprising a basal round tower surmounted by an octagonal belfry was not demolished in recognition of its usefulness as a seamark and perhaps as a lighthouse. Thereafter Eccles became part of the combined parish of Hempstead with Eccles, although rectors continued to be appointed to St Mary's until the late 19th century as a sinecure, defined as 'a Rectory without cure of souls.'

The steeple remained close to the foreshore, often surrounded by sand dunes, for some 350 years, although coast erosion continued to affect the area throughout that time. In 1605 the villagers applied for a reduction of taxes in a document entitled 'the ruynated state of the town of Eccles' explaining that some 2,000 acres of land and 66 households had been lost to the sea by that time.

By the early 19th century the sea advanced, chewing ever more land away and the sand dunes were pushed back around the church. When Ladbroke engraved the tower for his series of illustrations of the churches of Norfolk in 1823, the tower was still, just, on the landward side of the dunes. By 1893, the church was not only on the beach, the chancel ruins had been destroyed... The fact that the tower stood until 1895 and formed such a local landmark made it an attraction for early photographers and so we have a number of early plates, most notably the fine image taken by a Mr Fitt, a Norwich photographer c.1890, and which was reproduced and sold in some numbers by him after the tower fell. ... it has been possible to show that the parish church was originally a two-celled building which had a round west tower... and a south aisle subsequently added. The tower is difficult to date, but from its size, proportions and coursed flint walling, appears to be Norman  in date, probably of the 12th century."

In the 1960s it is said that the location of the church was obvious from two large piles of flint, but they are covered by sand today. For a 15-year period from the mid-1980s the site of Eccles, by then designated as the Eccles deserted medieval village was exposed by beach scours, most notably in 1991 and 1993. An archaeological watching brief undertaken at the time identified the church ruins, evidence of burials, ancient trackways and foundations of former dwellings in the vicinity of the church, including some dozen abandoned water wells. Excavation of these wells produced a wide range of metal, leather, timber and pottery all dateable to the late 16th century, indicating that the village had been abandoned at that time.

Norfolk County Council Archive has a few Victorian prints of the tower still standing, although publication is not permitted. Examples can be seen on Norfolk County Council website.

A beach service is held on the last Sunday in August every year on the beach near North Gap, Eccles to remember the old church and the people who are buried there. Wikipedia.

Edgefield, saint Peter and Saint Paul, 3 miles south of Holt. with the exception of the octagonal tower, and south porch, this church was pulled down and the materials and fittings used to help built another new church more central to the parish.

Egmere, Saint Edmund, 2 miles west of Walsingham, this church has long fallen into disrepair. In Messent's time he said "It's remains consist of little more than the tower with its newel staircase and portions of walls of the nave. It was first desecrated when used as a barn by Sir Nicholas Bacon, of Stiffkey, Lord Keeper of the Privy Seal to Queen Elizabeth.

----------

Fincham, Saint Martin's and Saint Michaels, 5 miles north-east of Downham Market. Originally a village of two churches. Saint Michael's was known as a fine building of Norman style, with additional Early English parts. This church was destroyed in 1745. Its site was west of the present Rectory and a photograph of the remains is given in Bryant's book of Norfolk Churches for Clackclose Hundred.

Foston, Saint Peter, on the Main Road to Stoke Ferry from King's Lynn stood Saint Peter's Church. It is now completely gone.

Foulden, All Saints and Saint Edmund's, 5.5 miles east of Stoke Ferry. Originally two church, Saint Edmunds went, in a site called Burhall Field, marked on old O/S maps.

Fulmodeston, Saint Mary, now united with Croxton, and 5 miles east of Fakenham. The church of Saint Mary was closed in 1882 and has since fell into disrepair. It contained some lovely monuments to the Brown family.

----------

Garboldisham, Saint John the Baptist and All Saints, 5 miles south of East Harling, originally two churches, one still stands. All Saints was removed in 1734 and only the tower remains, there is a board telling its story. Located done a narrow lane, cordoned off.

Gasthorpe, Saint Nicholas, 7 miles south east of Thetford. This church has been in ruins for years. It is still available to see.

Gillingham All Saints, All Saints, 1 mile north of Beccles, Gillingham Saint Mary has been consolidated with Beccles since 1748, and the church taken down. Though the tower was left. The tower has not been desecrated, as the churchyard is still being used.

Gissing, All Saints, Once standing in the present churchyard, Gissing church stood just 5 miles north-east from Diss. Founded in 1280 by Sir Nicholas Hastyngs, it was endowed with lands and served by a separate priest from the church. It was some feet from the present church to its east.

Glosthorpe, Saint Peter, 2.5 miles east-north-east of King's Lynn, once a decayed parish that went with Bawsey, all trace has now disappeared. Possibly towards the left of a road that heads to Gayton, (abandoned village, now gone)

Godwick, unknown, near Godwick Hall, can be seen standing in fields 6 miles south by west, near Fakenham, only the tower remains.

Gowthorpe, Saint James, a hamlet in what now is Swardeston, just 4 miles from Norwich, dedicated to Saint James, this church was seen near a brick kiln, only a hundred feet from Gowthorpe Hall. In full use in 1590, 52 years after the Reformation, possibly served by the priest of Intwood, it shows on old O/S maps.

Guist Thorpe, Saint Andrews, part of Guist, 6 miles south east of Fakenham, entirely disappeared, only some foundations remain. Near the Manor House, and seen on OS maps. It was regarded as a chapel-at-ease to the main church of Guist.

Guton, Saint Nicholas, a parish that joined Brandiston a long time ago, it is 3 miles east-south-east of Reepham, said to have stood in the same graveyard as the current church. No traces now remain, it was said to have contained a tower with four bells.

----------

Hackford, Saint Mary, one of the churches in Reepham graveyard. Burned down in 1543, a time of the Great Fires of Reepham, the churches of Reedham and Whitwell escaped that fire. All that remains are a wall from the east. It still stands as a commemorative.
 
Hainford, All Saints, Just 7 miles north of Norwich, Hainford has been in ruins now some 100 plus years. There is a new one further into the village. The tower and vestry still remain and are used as a mortuary chapel when there are internments. A chapel dedicated to the Virgin Mary stood in its graveyard.

Harling Middle, Saint Andrew, as its name implies Harling Middle, is set between East Harling and West Harling. except for its foundations. Saint Andrews has gone, only marked as a round planter. United with West Harling in 1433, but not disused until 1543.

Hargham, All Saints, Hargham sits just beside the A11, though the nave and chancel still remain, two thirds are missing. Still used today, the tower is now completely detached from the before mentioned part of what once must have been a full size church building.

Hautbois Great, Saint Theobald, 3 miles north-west of Wroxham. The old church of Saint Theobald stands a mile from the village, its tower, nave and south porch still there. The church is in both Norman and Gothic styles, the tower circular, its chancel restored as a mortuary chapel. The new church was built in 1864.

Hautbois Little, Saint Mary, different to Great Hautbois, as dedicated to Saint Mary and nothing is now seen above its foundations. Now united with Lammas.

Helmingham, Saint Mary, 4.5 miles from Reepham, now part of Morton-on-the-Hill. Nothing above foundations is found, but shows on old O/S maps.

Hempnall. Saint Andrews, 7 miles north west of Bungay, originally two churches, Saint Andrews was situated near the boundary of the parish, adjoining Tasburgh. Parochial at the time of the Norman Conquest. Hempnall was originally a market town, disused after the Reformation. At the time of Blomefield's it was a repository for market stalls. Nothing above foundations can be found, showing on O/S maps.

Hempton, Saint Andrews, Adjoining Fakenham, the parish church of Saint Andrews was dilapidated on the foundation of the Priory, to which a chapel was attached, the church was a ruin as early as 1497, the whole buildings abandoned at the time of the Reformation. The new church was built in 1856.

Herringby, Saint Ethelbert, now a part of Stokesby, just 2 miles from the round towered church of Acle, This church had fallen into ruin by the commencement of James I, nothing is showing above the foundations.

Hilborough, Saint Margaret, six miles south of Swaffham on the Mundford to Swaffham road, are the remains of a Parochial Chapel, on grass close to the northwest side of the village. It was a free chapel, quite separate from the parish church and was endowed a hundred acres of land at an Early Period. It was dissolved by Edward VI. Pilgrims used to stop here on way to Walsingham.

Hindolveston, Saint George, 8 miles east of Fakenham, this was a very large building, it fell into ruin when the tower fell on July 31st 1892, it was a Sunday, but for some reason, the service had been cancelled beforehand and no one was injured.

Hockham Little, Saint Mary's, 7 miles north of Thetford, Now part of Great Hockham, situated on the road at Illington, the church of St Mary's has gone except for its foundations.

Holm, Unknown, 7 miles east by south of Swaffham, Holm was once a separate parish to that of Holme Hale, all trace of its church has now disappeared,

Holveston or Holverston, 5 miles south east by east of Norwich. This church stood in a field a short distance west of the local Hall. Said to have been a round tower, it has completely disappeared. Marked on an O/S map, it is now united with Burgh Apton.

Hunstanton, Saint Edmunds, The ruins now stand as a reminder of fallen men, on the cliffs at the Old Hunstanton end of this town. Said to be the landing place in Norfolk of Saint Edmund, it has taken his name, not much is left of the ruin, and what is has been heavily restored and turned into a garden area, complete with a wooden wolf carving. (Edmund was crowned King of the East Angles in 855AD. In 869AD he attempted to repel a huge invasion by Danes who had camped at Thetford. But King Edmund’s army was comprehensively defeated. Edmund was killed and the legend that evolved tells of his capture, torture, execution and martyrdom. Edmund was taken prisoner, whipped and tied to a tree. When he persistently refused to renounce his faith he was shot with bows and arrows 'until he bristled like a hedgehog’. He was then beheaded and his head was thrown into a bramble patch. Later his loyal supporters set about looking for the missing head and were alerted to its hiding place by the sound of Edmund’s own voice calling: “Over here, over here, over here!” They found the head guarded by a gray wolf sent by God to protect the head from the animals of the forest.After recovering the head, his supporters marched back home, praising God and the wolf that served him. The wolf walked beside them as if tame all the way to the town, after which it turned around and vanished into the forest. According to legend, the body of Edmund, reunited with its head, was eventually buried in a little purpose-built chapel at Bedericsworth, which later became Bury St Edmunds).

-----------

Ickburgh, Saint Andrews, 6 miles north-north-east of Brandon, a chapel stood at the south end of the village. It was founded in the reign of Edward I. by William Barentun in connection with a house of lepers. it was converted into cottages many years ago and dedicated to Saint Lawrence.

Irmingland, Saint Andrews, 5 miles north-north-west of Aylsham, the church of Saint Andrew was taken down many years ago, and its foundations now revealed when ploughing. The church was united with Heydon on July 17th 1706.
British-History site writes of a church at Irmingland, this is now a ruin in trees. Edric a Dane owned Irmingland at the Confessor's survey, and it contained two carucates, one belonged to the lord in demean, and the other was in his tenants hands, the whole was then of 20s. per annum value. At the Conquest it fell to Walter Giffard by that prince's gift, and then was worth 30s. per annum, and the town was six furlongs long, and as much broad, and paid 3d. geld, towards every 20s. raised in the hundred. This was afterwards called Whitefoot-Hall manor.

Islington, St Mary's Church, is a ruined redundant Anglican church in the civil parish of Tilney St Lawrence. Little of the village remains now as it was merged in 1935. The oldest fabric in the ruin dates from the late 13th century, and is found in the nave the chancel and the transept. The tower was added when the church was remodelled in the 15th century. Although it is now a ruin, the church was still intact in 1883, its original plan was cruciform, only the tower and chancel roofs survive. The churches 14th century font was taken to Hillington's Saint Mary's Church, is still there!

----------

Keburn, unknown, near Weeting in what used to be Keburn, it was described as a separate place at the time of the Norman Conquest. Foundations of this church and other buildings were unearthed at the commencement of the 18th century, also a church key found on site.

Kempston, Saint Peter, Kempstone or Kemston Saint Paul Church ruin stands now in weeds and woodland, with its west tower, nave and chancel, this derelict church with its 14th century plain tower, a stoup on the inside, its south door and simple 15th century font with traceried bowl and pedestal. At the time of H. Munro Cautley, there were mention of box pews, a simple trefoil headed piscina, Stuart rails and a 17th century drop-handled bier, with the unusual feature of cross bearers at each end.

Kenningham, unknown,now a part of Mulbarton, 5 miles south west of Norwich. The church has entirely disappeared, but its site shows on old O/S maps. It is shown about 400 feet to the west of Kenningham Hall Farm.

Kerdiston, Saint Mary, near Reepham, It now forms part of Reedham, entirely gone now, it once stood near the Hall, only the moated site of which now remains.

Keswick, Saint Clement, 3 miles south-south-west of Norwich, is now little more than a round tower left again on old O/S maps. List as in 1893 a small piece of the ruined nave was rebuilt as a mortuary chapel. now consolidated with Intwood.

Keswick, Saint Clement, now forming part of Bacton 4.5 north-east of, North Walsham, now completely disappeared, though marked on O/S maps. A house now occupies this spot, a outside wall is supposed to be one of the walls to the church.

Kimberley, Saint Peter, 3 miles north-west of Wymondham, dedicated to Saint Mary, it stood in the same churchyard as that of the present Saint Peter. It was 36 feet long and 21 feet wide. It was visible in Blomfields time, but now it has all gone.

King's Lynn, The Chapel of the Blessed Virgin Mary stood on the Old Bridge. It was known as Our Lady's Chapel on the Bridge. The Parochial Chapel of Saint Ann has now gone to decay. It stood near the old fort at the North End, called Saint Ann's Fort.
The Chapel of Saint Catherine stood on the Gaywood Road. It has now entirely disappeared.
Saint Lawrence's Chapel is supposed to have stood in the suburban part of Lynn called Hardwick, outside the Southgate. All traces of it have entirely disappeared.
The Chapel of Saint James has disappeared, except for part of the transept, which still stands behind County Court Road, adjoining Saint James burial ground, now disused. All these Chapels were similar to the present Chapel of Nicholas in King's Lynn, and as that, were in reality Chapels, but were called Chapels-of-Ease to the Mother Church or Parish Church of Saint Margaret.

Kirby Bedon Saint Mary, only 3 miles south-west of Norwich, Kirby Bedon's Saint Mary is now part of Saint Andrew's, dilapidated for 200+ years, the ruin still there, with a round Norman tower.

Kirstead Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew, now part of Kirstead Saint Margaret! Completely disappeared, a 1/4 of a mile from the present church. Shown on the old O/S maps, but no mention of it in Blomefield.

----------

Langhale, Saint Christopher, now part of Kirstead, this church stood near the main road near Langhale Hall, Bungay. It has entirely disappeared. though its foundations show during dry spells. Not shown on an O/S map, but much mentioned in Blomefield. 

Langham Parva, Saint Mary, now forms part of Langham Magna, (Parva meaning small, Magna meaning large) or Langham Episcopi, 5 miles west-north-west of Holt, entirely disappeared, though shown on old O/S maps, as the north side of the village street.

Letton, unknown, 6 miles south of Dereham, and dilapidated  many years ago. Now marked by a plantation on the south side of the park.

Leziate, All Saints, 4.5 miles east of King's Lynn. All Saints was a ruin years ago and nothing above foundation is now found. The benefice has been consolidated with Ashwicken.

Loddon, Saint Mary, there was a chapel separate from the church of the parish. It was granted to Charles, son of William of Gernemuth, by the Canons of Langley Abbey to be maintained by him and his successors in all things without detriment to the Parish church. Entirely disappeared now, it stood on the north side of the churchyard.

Lynford, unknown, 5 miles north-east of Brandon. The church was demolised and its site now planted to Scots Pine trees in the south-west part of the court, leading to the hall. Messent suggested all demolished churches should be treated like this. The benefice lapsed with the church.

Lynn North, Saint Margaret's, The site of North Lynn deserted medieval settlement. The village church of St Edmund was washed away in 1271 and the ruins again flooded in the 17th century, after which the remaining stonework was removed. Excavations in the 1950s and 1960s revealed the foundations of the church and other buildings and evidence of industrial activity, together with tiles, pottery fragments, stained glass and window leading. Today, the site is occupied by a vast agro-chemical works. 1967. Excavation. Carried out by E.J. Talbot (KLAS) on the remaining portion of the DMV (90 ft. by 120 ft). this revealed the plan of what seems to be a farm which had associated industrial structures, of which the occupation finishes in c. 1500. Deeper excavation revealed deposits that go back to the 13th century. There are no traces of St. Edmund’s Church which was destroyed by the floods in the 18th century.

----------

Mannington, unknown, 5 miles north-west of Aylsham and long been in ruins, the churchyard now a garden. The ruin has stopped going to decay.

Marham Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew's, Marham is 7 miles west of Swaffham, supposed home of the Swaffham Peddlar and his dog. There are only slight remains showing above ground, the benefice has long been joined to that of the Holy Trinity.

Markshall, Saint Edmund the King and Martyr, at one time called Mattishall Heath and on some O/S maps it still is. desecrated in 1693, its site is a large mound well raised above the marshes, about a quarter of a mile from Harford Bridges. Only reachable by lane in a northerly direction from Markshall Farm. Only the foundations now exist, these covered with grass.

Massingham Great, Saint Mary's, originally two churches, this one has completely disappeared, Blomefield gives a list of incumbents.

Melton Great, Saint Mary's, originally two churches, and two parishes. All Saint's Church, in accordance with Parliament, passed in 1710, was allowed to fall into decay, and at the time Saint Mary's was being used, because of its deterioration, this was allowed to fall into disrepair and fall. A new church was built in the same churchyard.

Methwold Hythe, Saint George, 4 miles south-south-east of Stoke Ferry, discovered when ploughing in 1880. Nothing by Blomefield of this church. Now part of Methwold.

Mintlyn, Saint Michael, 2.5 miles east by south of King's Lynn, Saint Michael's Church is now in ruins, Mainly built of local carrstone, little more than one gable remains. Situated to the north of where two railway lines cross, the L.M.S. and the L.N.E.R. It has a very fine Norman doorway just on show. Some parts are now with the Lynn Museum, the font is in a garden.

Moulton Little, Saint Michael, 6 miles east by north of New Buckenham. there was this separate parish. Entirely in decay there is nothing left above the foundations. The site is marked on old O/S maps.

Mundham, Saint Ethelbert, 2.5 miles west of Loddon, once a parish of two churches, this one allowed to fall into ruins. Still visible in Messent's time said to be of interest.

----------

Narborough, unknown, 5 miles from Swaffham, there was a parochial chapel in the same churchyard as the parish church, standing about 90 feet east. but all traces except for a few bumps, has now gone. Blomefield describes it as 12 yards long by 8 yards wide.

Narford, Saint Mary, 1 mile north of Narborough, on the same estate and in the same churchyard as that of Narford Hall and its church.

Nelonde, Saint Peter, Now forms part of Wreningham, once a distinct parish. Though dedicated to Saint Peter, all traces have now disappeared. 4 miles east of Wymondham.

----------

Oby, unknown, 4.5 miles, north-north-east of Acle. most of this church has disappeared, in 1882 on making an excavation in the churchyard, the Rev W.C. Davie, then rector found the foundations to an old church and the remains of an old encaustic tiled floor. Debates took place to decide if this was the church of Oby or Ashby.

Ormesby Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew, now part of Great Ormesby, entirely disappeared, the site is known, it often shows on ploughing.

Ormesby Saint Peter, Saint Peter, the foundations are seen only in the dry season.

Oxborough, Saint Mary Magdelan, 3 miles north east of Stoke Ferry, 15 mins from me, originally two churches here, that of Saint Mary Magdelan situated in the grounds of the present rectory is still there. Said to have been almost complete at the end of the last century, some still stands today.

Oxwick, All Saints, This church belongs to a group of churches called "Upper Wensum Churches" in this group of churches are Dunton, Great Ryburgh, Sheresford, Colkirk, Oswick, Whissonsett, Gateley, Horningtoft and Brisley. Sheresford, Oxwick, or Offuic a place or farm to keep oxen, oxa (oxen) + wic (farm. Postcode NR 21 7HY. Map below. The church of All Saints at Oxwick was built around 1300. At the time there must have been a much larger village there. Over the centuries the population dwindled and today only a few houses remain. Because of its amalgamation with Colkirk a nearby parish, Oxwick All Saints sometimes had only a small congregation of just three. In 1940 it was decided that the church should stop being repaired. This is when it first came into disrepair. the churchyard now merges into the surrounding woods but it is possible to find small marker stones among the trees marking the original churchyard boundary. because the churchyard has been undisturbed for several centuries many wild flowers and lichens survive, including the rare pignut and moschatel.

----------

Palgrave Great, unknown, 3 miles north-east of Swaffham, now with Little Palgrave, is part of Sporle. Originally with its own parish church, now decayed and lost.

Palgrave Little, Saint Peter, entirely disappeared, now combined with Great Palgrave to make Sporle.

Pattersley, Saint John the Baptist, now part of Oxwick, itself a ruin, but operational, Pattersley just 4 miles south-west of Fakenham, fragments of the wall showed in Messent's time on the west end of a farmhouse, annexed to Mattishall near Dereham.

Pensthorpe, dedication unknown, 2 miles south-east of Fakenham, The home of a Wildlife Natural Park. Much of the village has been destroyed by gravel quarrying, although two arms of the moat survive as shallow earthworks. Excavations have revealed medieval ditches, as well as prehistoric pits. The ruins of the church are incorporated into 19th century farm buildings. Pensthorpe deserted Medieval village, church and multi-period finds. The site of a Medieval deserted village, moat and parish church, along with prehistoric pits, a post Medieval  cockpit and multi-period finds. The earthworks of the village and the moat are visible on aerial photographs. Much of the village has been destroyed by gravel quarrying, although two arms of the moat survive as shallow earthworks. Excavations have revealed Medieval ditches, as well as prehistoric pits. The ruins of the church are incorporated into 19th century farm buildings. The artifacts recovered include prehistoric flint artifacts, prehistoric, Roman, Late Saxon and Medieval pottery and a Late Saxon Book or Box mount.

Pickenham North, Saint Paul, 3.5 miles north of Swaffham, a few hundred feet from the current Saint Andrew's church, nothing can now be seen. listed on old O/S maps.

Poringland West, Saint Michael, 6 miles south of Norwich, the church was dilapidated before 1540, this church has completely disappeared, its materials may be used in local buildings. Bones have been dug.

Pudding Norton, Saint Margaret, 1.5 miles south of Fakenham, Saint Margaret's fell into ruins many moons ago a large part of the tower still stands, some walling too.

Pulham Saint Mary the Virgin, Saint James, 3 miles north-west of Harleston. founded during the 13th century by members of the Guild of Saint James. In use up to the reign of King Edward VI then turned into a classroom.

----------

Quarles, unknown, 4 miles south-west of Wells, this was a ruin long before 1570. Some traces of the ruin are said to be near Quarles Farm, this site of the church is stated to be extra-parochial for ecclesiastical purposes.

----------

Rackheath Parva, unknown, The dedication to this church now part of Rackheath Magna is unknown and its position unknown.

Raynham West, Saint Margaret, The church of Saint Margaret's stands close to Saint Mary's church, it is still there, though all that is showing are various walls, a tower, font and alter.

Ringstead Great, Saint Peter, 2 miles south-east of Hunstanton, with the exception of a round tower, pulled down in 1771.

Ringstead Little or Barret Ringstead, Saint Andrew, now in ruins, part of which is visible.

Rockland Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew, 4.5 miles west of Attenborough, been in ruins for many years, not of interest.

Rockland Saint Margaret, Saint Margaret, 5 miles south-east of Trowse, now a ruin, standing in the same churchyard as Rockland Saint Mary.

Roudham, Saint Andrew, 6 miles, north-east of Thetford. Destroyed by fire in 1740, the walls and part of the tower remained. Falling into dis-repair.

Rougham, 8 miles north of Swaffham. A parochial chapel now a farm building, called Chapel Barn.

Rougholm, Saint Nicholas, now part of Gressenhall, 3 miles north-west of Dereham. A former chapel, founded by William de Stuteville, until 1540s. once a house. A ruin.

Roxham, Saint Michael, 2.5 miles west of Diss. Once a parochial chapel, nearly all disappeared, not far from the school.

Roydon, Saint Mary the Virgin, 1.5 miles west of Diss. There was a parochial chapel south of the present churchyard. Founded in 1282, nothing is left above the foundations.

Rudham West, All Saints, 8 miles west of Fakenham, in the same churchyard as the present Saint Peter. According to Blomesfield it was there in use in 1493, all trace has now gone.

Ryburgh Little, All Saints, 3 miles from Fakenham, now in ruins.

----------

Sallow, All Saints, Sallow was a hamlet near Wroxham, it had a parochial chapel, all traces have disappeared.

Saxlingham Thorpe, Saint Mary, 8 miles south of Norwich, this church was dilapidated some time before 1740 when united with Saxlingham Nethergate. the ruin is interesting, with a chancel, nave and square western tower still standing, Messent's time.

Saxthorpe, Saint Dunstan, 6 miles south-south-east of Holt. The chapel of Saint Dunstan was founded by the Earl of Pembroke and endowed by him as a free chapel. The ruins could be seen in 1734 and stood in a close called "Chapel Close".

Scornston, unknown, Scornston was a Hamlet in Tunstead, 6 miles south by east of North Walsham. There was a parochial chapel here before The Reformation. It has since disappeared.

Scratby, unknown, 5 miles north-north-west of Yarmouth. Long since disappeared, its site still known, it appears on ploughing.

Seething, unknown, 5 miles north of Bungay, there is a sign in the Park identifying where the church once stood. Said to be of Saxon origin, and with finds of skeletons that have been buried facedown.

Sengham, Saint Andrew, once a separate parish, part of Tattersett, near Fakenham. The church could be seen as late as 1843 when part of a wall stood, including a window.

Shelfanger, Saint Andrew, 2.5 miles north of Diss, once a parochial chapel, standing on the main road at Winfarthing. All traces have disappeared.

Sheringham Lower, Saint Nicholas, once a chapel frequented by fishermen, a fishing village was nearby, the church was dedicated to Saint Nicolas, patron Saint of Fishermen. In 1928 it was turned into a shop.

Shimpling Hythe, unknown, part of Shimpling, 3.5 miles north-east of Diss. Once a parochial chapel, but long gone to decay.

Shotesham Saint Martin, Saint Martin, Still standing in a village where there were at least four churches, the tower and the apse still standing on this one, the other ruin in Shotesham is Saint Botolph, below.

Shotesham Saint Botolph, near Saint Mary, hardly anything shows of Saint Botolph, one of four churches each with their own separate parish in Shotesham.

Shouldham Saint Margaret, Saint Margaret, 5.5 miles from Downham Market, formerly this parish had two churches, one survives.Still standing in 1519, marked on O/S maps.

Shipden juxta Felbrigge, Cromer, positioned in what once is now a "Hidden Village, listed in the Domesday Book. Shipden had 117 residents, three acres of meadow, 36 swine and four-and-a-half plough teams, a harbour, several manor houses and two churches – one that served Shipden-juxta-Felbrigg and Crowmere, the other the village itself, the church was still visible at low tide and this remaining rocky relic from a lost village was named "Church Rock,"

Shipden juxta Mare, Cromer, once there were two churches, on serving the village and one serving the latter. Both now gone to the sea, as with many churches around this coast.

Sidestrand, Saint Michael, 3 miles south-east of Cromer, with a round tower, dedicated to the Saint Michael. It was standing on the cliffs edge until 1916, when like most of the Norfolk coast, fell to the sea.As far back as 1881, the church stood, apart from the tower that was dismantled, rebuilt further in land.

Slevesholm, Saint Olave, a hamlet in Methwold, the foundations were found approx 150 years ago.

Snareshill, Saint Edmund, there was previously a church here, near a Hall,

Snetterton, Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew, 3 miles north of East Harling. Originally two churches. This one allowed to fall into decay, little of it still shows, a short distance from the existing All Saints.

Somerton East, Saint Mary, 9 miles north-west of Yarmouth, this church has been in ruins for many years, still standing a large tree grows in its middle.

South Acre, Saint George and Saint Bartholomew, 4 miles north of Swaffham, originally there were two churches, Saint Georges still stands, but Saint Bartholomew has long gone into decay. There was a Lazar House/Lepers House there with it. It stood on Bartholomew Hill, one time called Oliver Cromwell's Camp, this is where five ways meet in the parish. All traces above ground have gone.

Southery, Saint Mary's, still showing in Southery, encased with builders fencing, 5 miles north-east of Littleport. This falling into disrepair, gave way for a new church to be built in 1858, the ruin shows much local carrstone in its walls.

Southwood, Saint Edmunds, 9 miles west of Yarmouth. Saint Edmunds gradually got so bad, it no longer had a roof and has stayed that way for over 50 years. The tower and walls still remain, both the nave and chancel walls are the same width externally, but the nave being approx 12" thicker than the chancel.

Stanninghall, Saint Peter, 6 miles north by east of Norwich. this church is disused, the tower and part walls are still standing, used as a farm building, owed by a couple that have rebuilt the near barn they now call Saint Peter's Barn. The estate was owed by Sir Charles Harbord a wealthy surveyor General of nearby Gunton Manor, The church is placed on a Saxon village. NR12-7LY.

Stiffkey, Saint Mary, Originally two churches, at the time of the Domesday Book, 1086, the village of Stiffkey showed two major estates, William the Conqueror owned one, and a nobleman Rainold Fitz Ivo, had the other. only one showed then, but later there were two, This Saint Johns, and the other Saint Mary's, both had the same churchyard. Having two churches in one churchyard in Norfolk is not unusual. Reepham has three! The closure of the second churches began in the 14th century and in 16th century 98 churches had closed. These two churches remained until 1563. One was deconsecrated and crumbled away. It is not known which of the two churches was left, but whichever one, it was called Saint John the Baptist Church.

Stow, Saint Guthlac, was a hamlet of Swaffham, about .5 miles west-north-west, once belonging to Castle Acre Priory, was mainly used by pilgrims going to that shrine, though it served for parochial purposes as well. It's site is shown on old O/S maps, (On the left-hand side of the road to Narford, about half a mile from Swaffham town.)

Stratton Saint Peter, Saint Peter, 10 miles south of Norwich, now part of Stratton Saint Michael, near Long Stratton. dilapidated for years, a ruin at the time of Henry VII and now gone completely. Shown on old O/S maps.

Sturston, the Church of The Holy Cross, 6 miles south-west of Watton, The church of Holy Cross has long been in ruins and very little more than a large heap of stones remains. Now joined to Tottington and Thomson.

Summerfield, All Saints, anciently called "Southmere", now forms part of Docking. now gone into decay, the foundations can be traced.These are on the left-hand side of the road from Great Ringstead to Docking inside a wood.

Surlingham, Saint Marys, 6 miles east of Norwich, formerly the parish had two churches, Saint Saviour's was dilapidated and after centuries, and covered in Ivy only walls remain. The tower is thought to have been central.

Swaffham, Saint Mary's, in SS Peter and Paul Parish, Chapel-of-Ease, Saint Mary, founded by the Earl of Richmond in 1304, just half a mile out of town, it appears to have gone into decay since the Reformation.

Swainsthorpe, Saint Marys, 5 miles south by west of Norwich, originally two churches here, Saint Mary's left to go to ruin.Now disappeared, It's site on the west bank of The River Tas. There was once a circular building on the site in a way to keep the ground sacred.

Swathing, unknown, 6.5 miles from Dereham, nothing listed and nothing found.

----------

Tasburgh, Saint Michael, 8 miles south of Norwich, in use in 1498, slight remains are still there.

Terrington Saint Clement, Saint James, described by a friend Ray Manning an ex postman, who remembers it in his time as a tin chapel, set near Ongar Hill area on the marshes, falling into decay after the reformation, said by Claude J.W. Messent as site unknown.

Testerton, Saint Remigius, 3 miles south-east by south of Fakenham. this church fell into ruin years ago, a portion of the tower is all that remains.

Thetford All Saints, All Saints, Originally 20 parish churches in this town, plus a lot of monastic establishments, 17 of the said churches have since fallen foul of decay and their whereabouts unknown. They are listed below:

Thetford Holy Trinity, Holy Trinity,

Thetford Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew,

Thetford Saint Bennet, Saint Bennet

Thetford Saint Edmund, Saint Edmund,

Thetford Saint Etheldred, Saint Etheldred,

Thetford Saint George, Saint George,

Thetford Saint Giles, Saint Giles,

Thetford Saint Helen, Saint Helen,

Thetford Saint John, Saint John,

Thetford Saint Lawrence, Saint Lawrence,

Thetford Saint Margaret, Saint Margaret,

Thetford Saint Martin, Saint Martin,

Thetford Saint Mary Magdelan, Saint Mary Magdelan,

Thetford Saint Mary's the Great, Mary's the Great,

Thetford Saint Michael, Saint Michael,

Thetford Saint Nicholas, Saint Nicholas,

Thorpeland, Saint Thomas, now part of Fakenham, it had its own parochial chapel in 1419, part of the church remains, no sign of a tower. A fine traceried window from the ruin is built into a wall at Thorpeland Hall.                    

Thorpland, Saint Thomas, 2 miles north of Fakenham, there was a parochial chapel here in 1419. Much of the western part of the church remains. though no sign of the tower. Not marked or spoken of. Remains of Church of Saint Thomas, Thorpland, south-east of Thorpland Hall. Probably 14th century and 15th century fabric ruins. Only part of the south-west corner remains, approximately 15 ft high, together with foundations, further east, of the south wall. Flint built with ashlar quoins, little detail survives, originally aisled and without tower.

Thorpe Parva, Saint Mary, 3 miles east of Diss, now part of Scole. With just a small portion of the tower left in a field and only reached by a grass track for over 1/4 of a mile.

Thorpe Saint Andrew, Saint Andrew, next to Norwich are the remains of Saint Andrew standing in front of a new church erected in 1866, all remains are a small tower.

Tibenham, Saint Mary the Virgin, 3.5 miles east of New Buckenham. One of a few churches in one area. There was a parochial chapel here, it stood in the churchyard of the present church, the ruins were visible in Blomefield's time.

Trowse Millgate, unknown, near Norwich. There was originally here a parochial chapel. gone now entirely to decay.

Tunstall, SS Peter and Paul, 2 miles south-east of Acle. the church stands as a ruin, except for the chancel, which has been restored.

Tuttington, Saint Botolph, 2 miles east of Aylsham, in use in 1214. it appears to have been disused about the time of The Reformation. Traces have been found north of the church.

----------

Wacton Little, Saint Mary, now forms part of Wacton Magna, gone entirely to decay. Very little more than foundations exist.

Wallington, Saint Margaret, Now forming part of Thorpeland. 3 miles north of Downham Market. the church is in ruins. Thorpeland is no longer.There, houses being built on this site.

Walsham South, Saint Lawrence, This church burned down in 1827, but the chancel was repaired and used occasionally, the main Divine services are held at Saint Mary's church, which stands in the same churchyard. Half the ruined tower still stands, and bears witness to what a handsome structure it once was, it had embattlements and pinnacles.

Walsingham Great, Saint Peter, there were originally three churches here. Saint Peter has completely disappeared, but its ruins are still traceable in a field adjoining Westgate House. A still earlier church of Saxon date once stood here about 100 yards north of All Saints. No traces are now visible. Blomefield mentions All Saints church, but not the Saxon church.

Walton East, Saint Andrew's, 7 miles north-west of Swaffham, there were originally two churches here. It has been here in ruins a long time. The remains of the tower may still be seen in a garden to a farmhouse.

Warham, Saint Mary the Virgin, 2.5 miles south of Wells, there were originally three churches here., Saint Mary's has been in decayed for a very long time. nothing is seen above the foundations.

Waxham Parva, Saint Margaret, 5 miles east of Stalham. This was anciently a large parish, but the village and church went into the sea several centuries ago.

Weeting, All Saint, 1.5 miles north of Brandon. originally two churches here. All Saint's was demolished in the 18th century by the fall of the tower and its ruins may still be seen in the park.

Whitlingham, Saint Andrew's, near Norwich, the church was dilapidated about 1630, and now forms part of a picturesque ruin. With its round tower, on a lofty eminence overlooking the river.

Wicklewood, All Saints and Saint Andrews, 3 miles west of Wymondham, there were formerly two churches in the same churchyard. Saint Andrew's went into decay in 1367, nothing can be seen.

Wiggenhall Saint Peter, Saint Peter, 5 miles south-south-west of king's Lynn. Saint Peter fell into disrepair and the tower and a few walls only remain. There is scaffolding stopping one from getting in at places.

Wighton, unknown, 3 miles south by east of Wells. There was a chapel-of-ease here, still seen a few hundred yards from Wey Curd Farm. Marked on old O/S maps.

Wimpwell, unknown, now forms part of Happisborough, pronounced "Hazebro", 4 miles north of Stalham. This church is another that has disappeared due to sea corrosion's.

Windle, or Windell, Saint Andrew, Now forms part of Gillingham 1449, gone to decay, but site known.

Winston, Saint Andrew, Now forms part of Gillingham (1440), the church has gone into decline, but shown on old O/S maps.

Wiveton, Our Lady, 4.5 miles north-west of Aylsham, This church has been decayed for a considerable amount of time. It is in the same churchyard as the present church. Everything above foundations is now disappeared.

Wolterton, Saint Margaret, 4 miles north-west of Aylsham. It's been decayed for a number of years, there is only a tower remaining. Seen to the north-west of Wolterton Hall.

Wood Norton, All Saints and Saint Peters, 6 miles east by south of Fakenham, two churches were here, Saint Peters disused from the reign of Henry V, falling into disrepair. Later turned into a barn. Consolidated with Swanton Novers in 1738, but later became separated again later.

Worstead, Saint Marys and Saint Andrews, 3 miles east by south of North Walsham. Once in a thriving weaving town. Originally had two churches. Saint Andrews being a chapel of ease to Saint Mary's. Now completely disappeared its site is occupied by later buildings, possibly built with the church ruins. Marked on old O/S maps.

Wreningham Little, Saint Mary, 8 miles from Norwich in the south-west-south, gone to decay, only the foundations remain.

Wretham West, Saint Lawrence, 6 miles north of Thetford, long been disused, interesting ruins, in park near Hall.




Some of the things that can be seen on this site are:
Aisle, Flint, Font, Gallery, Altar, Flying Buttress, Gargoyle, Annunciation, Galilee Porches, Antiphonal, Lectern,Gothic, Grotesque, Apse, Gnomon, Hatchments, IHS, Ambulatory, Glossary, ruined churches, seven sacrament fonts, stained coloured windows, churches of Norfolk, A-Z meaning of church list, religious or pilgrim badges, carvings, naves, alters, graffiti, door knobs, Roman, Saxon, videos.


[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]