[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Shimpling, Saint George Church,

Shimpling Saint George Church.


Shimpling, Saint George Church, Round Tower with octagonal top storey and spire above, 4 bells, nave, chancel and north porch. The base of the tower is Norman, and 14th century above, The spire was added in 1863. The walls mainly 13th century with later insertions, principally windows. The porch has been rebuilt with brick and timber framing. There is a brass to Robert Le Grys, dated 1598 and in the east window are the arms of the Shimpling and Le Grys families. The fine carved font is of much interest. There are several fragments of ancient stained glass in the windows. (Shimpling Hythe, had a Parochial Chapel, there that has gone completely to decay. Shimpling, Saint George Church, west tower, north porch, nave, and chancel. The Norman round tower has a 15th century octagonal top and small lead-covered spire. 17th brick and timber porch restored. There is a boldly carved traditional font, with what looks like the lower menber of a carved cover. The nave has an arch-braced roof, which showing signs of failure, had a collar inserted. You can tell this by the use of iron-bolts, which were never used in mediaeval work, the carpenters of those days relying on wooden pins alone. Simple double arm-rest bench ends with poppy heads, two with traceried backs. The plain roof to chancel is dated 1633. Some fragments of 14th century glass in chancel and nice 15th century glass in tracery of nave windows. Fragments of old screen under tower arch and Stuart table.

Shimpling, Saint George Church, Postcode:
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,
Shimpling, Saint George Church,