[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
South Walsham Saint Mary Church,

South Walsham, Saint Mary Church,


South Walsham Saint Mary Church, Messent wrote: Square west tower, 5 bells,nave,with aisles,chancel and south porch. This church is a mixture of Decorated and Perpendicular work. The east windows to the chancel and south aisle are fine specimens of the former period. There are poppy heads to the pews. There is an aumbry in the north aisle. The rood screen remains, registers from 1550. Also on the same churchyard sits a building and a ruin. these, This church was burned down in 1827, but the chancel was later rebuilt, and is now generally used for Sunday School purposes. (I went and on finding the first building open, drifted inside to ask permission to see, Saint Lawrence's and Sacristan's Garden may be visited at any time during the day) Saint Lawrence Centre is now used for varying functions, and can be booked via, suestarking@yahoo.co.uk ,South Walsham Saint Mary Church, west tower, south porch, nave, north and south aisles and chancel, 15th century tower with traceried sound holes, and a nice 15th century porch with parvise above. The arch has in its spandrils a well preserved and excellent Annunciation, and the niche above between two windows has a mutilated group of carving, which may have represented the conception of the B.V.M. There is a low-side window on south. Curious 14th century font with traceried bowl, supported on a large circular shaft with moulded piers projecting at the cardinal points. Modern roofs, but nice late 15th century benches with poppy heads and the ends bordered with carving. Four have arm rests and figures on them and some have initials of donors. Nice square headed 15th century screen with door, the panels being diapered and inscribed for the donor John Gate and his wife. There is a double aumbry in north aisle and a banner stave locker in the chancel. Only 30feet away in the same churchyard stand the remains of Saint Laurence. It formerly had a thatched roof but was burned down in the last century. Half of the old tower remains which shows that it must have been a fine tower with sound holes. Parts of it are used for a Sunday School, other parts as a garden. The organ is built or constructed by Norman & Beard Ltd of London.

South Walsham Saint Mary Church, Postcode: 
South Walsham Saint Mary Church,
South Walsham Saint Mary Church,
South Walsham Saint Mary Church,
South Walsham Saint Mary Church,
South Walsham Saint Mary Church,
South Walsham Saint Mary Church,