[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
South Wootton Saint Mary Church


South Wootton Saint Mary Church, west tower, south porch, nave, transepts and chancel. There has been a good bit of rebuilding here, including the tower. The church has modern roofs and fittings, but is a great deal of interest, both for its font and hearse. the font is Norman, is a 2' 6" square and standing on nine pillars, and the bowl is richly carved with great heads at the corners. The hearse stands on a contemporary bier and is dated 1611. It is circular on top 6' 2.5" x 1, 9.5 and the slats are all inscribed one reading "We shall all be changed in a moment, the trump shall blow and the dead shall rise incorruptable". It was formed of course to support the pall. A graduated sedillia and piscina with piers and trefoiled arches under a square label and a good 14th century four-light east window. 3 bells, this church is in the transitional Early English and Decorated styles. it has been much restored and the tower was practically rebuilt in 1881, after having been nearly split in two by lightning. On the north side of the chancel was a projecting mausoleum of the Hamond family, including one by Lynn sculptor Eldridge for the Rev. Horace Hamond. In the north-east corner of the chancel is an altar tomb to Sir James Thomas Winde, who died in 1603. The north transept was formerly the Lady Chapel, and contains a piscina and aumbry. The south transept was Saint Anne's Chapel. Most of the walls are of local carrstone. there is no mention of a church in Wootton in the Domesday Book, the earliest features almost certainly date to before 1100. Some of  the church parts are built in a late Saxon style. Its situation, on relatively high ground within a settled area and close to a manor house (the Old Hall), and is typical of many church sites. The first we truly hear of South Wooton in a tax document of 1182. By then both North and South Wootton had developed from the dispersed pattern of farmsteads at the time of Domesday into two distinct distinct communities with greens at their focus. By now there was a church in each village. This church has a Bower organ!
There is a disabled toilet.

South Wootton Saint Mary Church, Postcode: