[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.



Southrepps, Saint James Church, near North Walsham, this church has a 114ft square west tower, (one of the best in Norfolk) has 5 bells and a base course of shell design, emblems, of Saint James, adopted as a badge by pilgrims to his shrine at Compostella in Northern Spain., nave, chancel, and south porch. The tower is a fine lofty embattled one of the Perpendicular period. The nave and chancel windows are Decorated, but from the date from the time the aisles were removed in 1788. There is a window memorial to relatives of Archdeacon Glover, who has a brass in the chancel. There is a fine 15th century west doorway, and a low side window in the chancel. This with a beautifully executed stained glass of Saint James as an angel. The late 14th century font is of interest. Also the ancient stained glass preserved in some of the windows. The church of very large proportions was even larger before the aisles were pulled down in 1791. the arcades can still be seen. The large west door is flanked by nice niches with shields and tracery above. The sound holes have a delicate lattice design and above the large three light belfry windows is a fine parapet. Inside the panels of the 15th century rood screen have their original colouring, a diaper of crowned M's on alternative red and green grounds. The priest's door in the south wall of the chancel has a lovely hood mould terminating in demi-figures of laymen with most expressive heads. The hand of individuals is often discernible, even if we cannot attribute names to them, A good example is provided by masons marks at New Buckenham and Weasenham Saint Peter. Recently Richard Fawcett made a major contribution to techniques of architectural history by showing that the same decorative features could be seen in more than one church, and therefore reveal the work of "Schools" of masons, or even of individuals. Thus, he had demonstrated at Hockwold, Larling and Croxton. They all have the same simple tracery of the early 14th century; that a particular kind of elongated quatrefoil was used in the Attleborough area after 1320, and has links to Norwich Cathedral and that the towers of Blofield, Brisley, Fakenham, Foulsham, Heydon, Ingham and Southrepps were all the work of one man in the mid-15th century and that a mason who designed Wiveton Saint Mary worked elsewhere in Norfolk in the second quarter of the 15th century. There are two monuments by the sculptor C. Abbott of (Aylsham) one is for Anne Bond 1803 and Charles Smith, B. D. 1802.


Southrepps, Saint James Church, Postcode: NR11-8NX.


Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.
Southrepps, Saint James Church, NR11-8NX.