[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Saint John the Baptist Church.
Stiffkey, Saint John the Baptist Church.


Stiffkey, Saint John the Baptist Church. Originally two churches, at the time of the Domesday Book 1086, the village of Stiffkey (Stewkey) showed two major estates. William the Conqueror owned one, and a nobleman Rainold Fitz Ivo had the other. Only one showed then, but later there were tow. This Saint Johns, and the other Saint Mary's, both had the same church yard in Norfolk is not unusual, Reepham has three! The closure of all the second churches began in the 14th century and in the 16th century 98 churches had closed. These two however remained until 1563. One was deconsecrated and crumbled away, its tower however still remained. It is not known which of the two churches was left, but whichever one. It was called Saint John the Baptist Church. With its west tower, north porch, nave and chancel. Modern roof and benches. Remains of a good early 15th century porch with armorial shields in spandrils and flush panelling. It used to be groined with a parvise above. There is an octagonal rood loft staircase on south side. Nice fragments of 15th century glass in south nave window. 13th century piscina and three misericordes. There is a pew end memorial to Eugene Sweny, rector of this church for 23 years 1906 and his wife Elizabeth, graves include William Green 1843. 


Saint John the Baptist Church. Postcode:


Saint John the Baptist Church.
Saint John the Baptist Church.
Saint John the Baptist Church.
Saint John the Baptist Church.
Saint John the Baptist Church.
Saint John the Baptist Church.
Saint John the Baptist Church.
Saint John the Baptist Church.