[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF

Surlingham Saint Mary Church, west tower, south porch, nave, north aisleand chancel. The early Norman tower, is circular and has an octagonal top. Modern roofs and fittings and a typical East Anglian font. Surlingham Saint Mary Church, near Brundall, round west tower with octagonal top storey, 4 bells, nave with north aisle but no clerestory, chancel and south porch. the tower is Norman at the base, but 15th century at the top. The nave is 14th century with later insertions. The chancel has been rebuilt in brick with debased Gothic windows with wooden frames and tracery. There is a fine brass to Master John of Alnwick, dated 1460. Surlingham, also had another church, the church of Saint Saviour, is a roofless ruin with central tower. With its round Norman tower which was given its octagonal belfry when the rest of the church was made new in the 14th century. A lychgate to six men who died for peace brings us to it. A cluster of cottages keeps it company, but its setting is spoiled by the Aunt Sallys of the Petrol Age. The arcade and the font are medieval, the font bowl supported by cross-winged angels. Round the bowl are lions with bushy tails and angels holding shields, and at the foot are four lions with big manes. John Alnwik, a priest who was baptising children here perhaps when the font was new, is here in brass, and has been sleeping in the chancel since 1450. The ruined walls of another old church were covered with ivy.

Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF
Surlingham Saint Mary Church NR14 7DF