[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church.



Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church. The small ancient church is only reached along farm tracks. Built from 1200 onwards. There were connections with a branch of the Pepys family in the 17th century.  Written as a usual aisle-less nave and chancel, against an 13th century un-buttressed west tower with two light bell openings and brick battlements. Splayed windows into the nave and a good south porch of late 13th century. 15th century font. it has a strange piscina & sedilia, contrived with narrow bricks, almost looking Tudor. Under went a refit in 1909. The church is one of the most isolated in Norfolk. Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church. West  tower, south porch, nave and chancel. The 13th tower has a splayed angle for a height of 20ft. The 13th century porch has great half round columns 21" in diameter and the south door is the same date. 13th century chancel arch with two plain niches flanking it, the bottom of the niches being level with the top of rood loft doorway. Modern roofs and benches, an aumbry on south wall of nave, near font, plain octagonal 14th century font and brick sedilia. This parish said once to have two churches. The other, St Andrew in the lost hamlet of Sengham, was about half a mile to the south. There is no mention in Monastic Remains of Norfolk and Suffolk, so it was possibly a smaller Parish Church at least! No trace of it remains, but Aerial photography of this area shows a set of impressive earthworks. These take the form of hollow ways, building platforms and house foundations. The identity of this deserted medieval settlement is uncertain, with suggestions that it is Broomsthorpe/Sengham (these two villages may be one and the same) or Tattersett St Andrew.  The church here was supposedly dedicated to St John the Evangelist but the former St Andrew’s Church (site at NHER 13256) may be in some way related to this settlement due to its geographic proximity. Over the years a number of finds have been recovered from the area of the deserted village and these include: Neolithic, Saxon, Middle Saxon, Late Saxon and Medieval finds. These include: Thetford and Ipswich Ware, Sherds, Flints, Tweezers, Strap-ends and Jettons, A french medieval coin. These once used by the Chancellor of the exchequers as a way of estimating their money! They would slide the jettons on a chequered board, like that of draughts or chess. And this is where the title comes from.

Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church.
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church
Tattersett, All Saints and Saint Andrews Church