[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Thelveton Saint Andrew Church IP21 4EP


Thelveton Saint Andrew Church, nave, south porch and chancel. There is nothing of interest in this church but a traditional font and the Arms of Charles I, these were the words of Cautley.
Near Diss, west bell-cot , 1 bell, nave, chancel and south porch. The style is mainly late 13th century with some later insertions. The top of the tower has been rebuilt. The nave and chancel are continuous under one roof. The church has an outside compost toilet.Its red roofed dwellings, its stacks and barns, the small church in the fields and the Elizabethan Hall, are all just off the Roman road to Norwich. Reached by a long avenue of oaks and hiding in trees, the Hall was for centuries the home of the Havers and then the Manns, who gave the village its reading room and built three cottages as a memorial to one of the family who fell in the Great War. They restored the 15th century church, in which is a marble relief of the head of Thomas Mann, with side whiskers. Fine oaks, beeches and pines completely hide the church, which has a bellcot crowning its flint walls. There are many quaintly clipped yews by the graveyard path, and under one of the walls is a Flanders Cross. The interesting things to see are a pretty pillar piscina with flower drain, and a 15th century font with roses, lions, and angels on the bowl, heads of angels under the bowl, and on the stem three mitred bishops, plus a man in a bowler hat, and four bearded saints with wings and books. Thelveton was home of John Stubbs, a great Puritan who died in France in 1591 and was buried on the seashore. He is always cited by historians as proof that, no matter what her severity, her subjects loved Queen Elizabeth with a chivalrous affection no other sovereign ever won. He was arrested for publishing a protest against the proposed marriage of the Queen with the Roman Catholic, and was found guilty and sentenced to have his right hand cut of, the fearful sentence being carried out on a scaffold erected at Westminster. Stubbs, while waiting for mutilation, declared to the crowd that he was warmly attached to the Queen and that the punishment would in no way impair his loyalty. After his had had been struck off, he put off his hat with his left hand, says Old Stow (who was present) and cried aloud. God save the Queen, while the people stood mute with fear. The organ made by Bishop and Sons at the end of the 19th century, made of oak (unusual) This has an inscription to Built by Edward Mann J.P. + AD 1900 Marcus EW Johnson, Rector + George Symonds, churchwarden, and another small brass plaque "In Memory of Winifred May Neale Organist 1928-1982", she was born at Thelveton and is buried in the graveyard.

Thelveton Saint Andrew Church IP21 4EP.