[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Thwaite Saint Mary Church NR35 2EG


Thwaite Saint Mary Church, near Bungay, square west tower, 2 bells, nave and chancel. The tower is of the Decorated period. the walls are mainly Early English and incorporate  a fine Norman doorway on the south side, above the arch of which is a crudely carved head. Part of the walls were rebuilt  in brick in 1738. there are some Decorated and Perpendicular windows inserted. The chancel retains some memorials to the London family dating from 1650 to 1688. This church has a modern roof and simple 15th century octagonal font. Plain 14th century tower with no buttresses, and thatched nave roof, this secluded little church among farms and fields, a simple and aisless place with a 14th century tower rising above a richly patterned thatched roof. Its low eaves shelter a lovely doorway the Normans built, a muzzled bear surmounting the arch, which has many bands of varied ornament and rests on four shafts with carved capitals. The medieval font has a bowl on a cluster of pillars; the nave windows are 15th century.

Thwaite Saint Mary Church, Postcode: NR35 2EG