[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.



Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church, just off the High Street, in Little Walsingham, a village famous in Norfolk for its siting of the blessed virgin Mary, its Priory and both the Slipper Chapel and the Shrine to Our Lady. One can step back in time some few hundred years, it was first compared to a drawing by Ladbrooke from 1823. Fire gutted the church in July 1961. Only the extreme west end was spared, that is the tower, the south porch and the font. Rework after that fire was directed by Laurence King, a notable church architect from London. Much of the church was renewed, following the 14th century pattern, this had double hollow chamfer arches on the south side and a different design for the north side, Ancaster stone from Lincolnshire was used. The west is a special feature of the church and is used as a main entrance. It is a later addition to the tower and id decorated with fleurons and a pair of oversize head and shoulder figures. The porch windows are glazed with figures of Saint Mary and the angel Gabriel and are dated around 1890. The font is of Seven Sacrament type, this of the 14th century, it stands high and uses a step and cross formation. The Royal Arms are that of King George II 1727-1760. The tower is that of the 14th century and known as the Decorated Period. There is a lead covered spire, that was re-built in 1920, There is a window below that holds a Ringer's Platform. Square west tower with slender spire, a clock and 5 bells, nave and aisles, north and south transepts, chancel, and south and west porches. This is a fine church, mainly in the Perpendicular style. It has fine open timber roofs and lofty arches to the arcading. It possesses the finest Seven Sacrement font in England, with a well-carved Classic cover. There is a very fine monument in the north transept to Sir Henry Sidney and his lady, dated 1612. There is a carved screen to the south transept. There are some miserere seats in the chancel. The south porch has fan vaulting and a parvis above. The west porch, partly beneath the tower, has some good ornamentation. Some tombstones are preserved here which have been brought from the Priory. There are some 19th century memorials to the Lee-Warner family. There is some ancient stained glass in some of the windows.

Walsingham Saint Marys Church, Postcode:
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.
Walsingham Little Saint Marys Church.