[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]

Watlington SS Peter and Paul Church.


Watlington SS Peter and Paul Church. Watlington Church is part of a group of Parishes; that includes Watlington, Runcton Holme, Tottenhill, and Wormegay. Watlington, which apparently gets its name from Nordic origins  (a site lying by water and wet soil) first appeared in records in 1166. The first recorded landowner was one Hermerus de Farrarys, whose estate was acquired by the Bardolphs of Wormegay and Stow, the head of this family taking the name Sir Robert de Watlington, a Knight at the Court of King Stephen.The church, dedicated to Saint Peter and Saint Paul, dates from the 13th century.Watlington SS Peter and Paul Church. square west tower, a clock, 6 bells, nave with aisles, chancel and small south porch. This church is mainly in the Decorated style, but the clerestory with square-headed windows appears to be later. There is a good deal of local carrstone in the walls. There are several mural memorial tablets to the Plestow, Platt, Patrick and other families. In the south aisle there is a memorial with effigies to Thomas Gawsel and his wife. In the south aisle there is a double piscina.


Watlington SS Peter and Paul Church.Postcode: