[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.


Welney, Saint Mary, Parish church. built 1848 by J C Buckler. Coursed carrstone with ashlar dressings and slate roof. It has a continuous nave and chancel. Of Early English style. with gabled west end. Arched west door below 2-light window with Plate tracery. Diagonal buttresses to nave. Nave windows of 2-light Plate tracery with trefoil above trefoiled window lights. Trefoiled south door below lancet. Flat side buttresses. Dentil eaves course. Gabled bell cote at apex of east nave gable with bell in trefoiled opening. Chancel side windows of trefoiled lancets (2 to south, one to north). Three-light Plate traceried east window. Flat east buttresses with modified stiff leaf decoration. Lean-to vestry to north of chancel : 2 lancets and trefoiled door. Interior. West gallery on 6 splayed timber posts. Nave roof of large arched braces to collars, springing from corbels. Two tiers through purlins. Hollow chamfered chancel arch with engaged columns. Chancel. roof as nave. 1887 stone reredos in 3 cusped arched bays each with crocketed and finialed gable. East stained window glass by T Wilshurst depicting Faith, Hope and Charity. Taken from British Listed Buildings as no access to site yet. Welney, St Mary the Virgin, nave chancel and north vestry. There is a bell turret over the chancel arch containing 1 bell. This church was built in 1848 in place of an old one pulled down. It is a copy of the Early English style.

Welney, St Mary the Virgin.
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.
Welney, St Mary the Virgin.