[google9e69c0a38572f0b4.html]
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.

West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.



West Dereham Saint Andrew's church, though a village is recorded as being here since Middle Saxon and there was probably a place of worship, the one standing at West Dereham is a fair bit older. On a previous site of an earlier monastery Saint Andrews stands proud on a hill. The tower pre-dates the church in that it was built in Saxon times as a watch tower, Saint Andrews itself is 1246, erected when the village was formed. There is a Jacobean pulpit and a plain font and a statue of one Hon, Edmund Soame, by R. Singleton of Bury. 17th century woodwork, memorials for Thomas Dereham, 1723. West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church. near Downham Market, has a round west tower with octagonal top, 5 bells, nave, chancel and south porch. The base of the tower is late Norman, the south doorway early English, and the rest mainly Perpendicular. There are two 18th century monuments to the Dereham family and a life-sized marble statue of Colonel Soame, died 1706; also a slab to Gregory Lovell, died 1693 and another to Edmund Soame 1714, by sculptor R. Singleton, Bury. There is a diagonal wall between the north wall of the nave and the chancel arch, containing the top and bottom doorways to the rood loft staircase. There is some ancient stained glass in two of the windows, said to have come fro the Abbey church. on Abbey Farm are traces of the abbey founded here late in the 12th century by Hubert Walter, who was born in the village. He went to Palestine with Richard Lionheart, who made him Archbishop of Canterbury, and he proved himself a strong prelate who could hold King John in check. The church of the abbey is now a storehouse and a barn, but such menial offices cannot rob it of its dignity or its standing as a footnote to history. the archbishop lies in Canterbury, and it was long after his day that Thomas Tusser of Essex, the literary farmer who wrote Five Hundred Pointes of Good Husbandrie, came to live at Abbey Farm and put some of his points into practice. Norman statesman and 16th century husbandman meet on common ground. At the break-up of the monastries the abbey and its lands were grated to the old family of dereham, one of whom was Francis Dereham, kinsman of Queen Katherine Howard of 1612 and Thomas of 1723 are in the church, which stands on a little hill beyond the cottages and once had a companion church in the same churchyard. Another memorial is a marble figure in armour, keeping greeen the memory of Colonel Edmand Soame who fought in Ireland for William of Orange. The Normans built the sturdy round tower.


West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church. Postcode:
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.
West Dereham Saint Andrew's Church.